Monday, November 03, 2008

Who wants to talk Birth Control?

I do!! I am already thinking about it and doing my research. I think I'm going to need a few years before my next baby, you know! I want to try an IUD. The pill (AND the mini pill!) make me really moody, and I don't mean weepy, I mean RAGE-Y. I get mad really quick, and I can almost feel a little Dr. Jekyl (or Mr. Hyde? who's the mean one?) taking over.

I am considering the Mirena and the Paragard. I am actually strongly considering the Paragard because it releases tiny amounts of copper (and NO hormones!) that keep you from getting pregnant. It sounded weird at first, but as I've looked into it, I've found that the Paragard has been around way longer than the Mirena, which definitely makes me feel better.

One of the more "common" side effects of the Mirena is benign cysts on the ovaries. I'll be honest and tell you that it scares me to have ANY possible cysts growing on my ovaries. (Did anyone read King of Torts by John Grisham? Where the benign tumors on the bladder eventually turned into cancerous ones, and people started dying? I know it's fiction, but behind every fiction story I think there's some truth.

So yes, I'm scared of the Mirena (although I will say it's supposed to give you way lighter/easier periods, while the Paragard sometimes makes them heavier for awhile.)

Anyway, do YOU have any experience with IUD's? Or any birth control that is really great for you? If you don't want your comment left for all to see, please e-mail me at heatheresplin at yahoo.

31 comments:

Becky Seymour said...

I just barely (well 2 months or so) got the Mirena. I LOVE AN IUD .I was afraid it would hurt, but piece of cake compared to everything else!! I did bleed for 2-3 weeks straight, and went in for my check up, but the dr. said that was normal. i haven't bled since then, but the dr. also said that we wouldn't be able to tell if i would cycle with the iud until i stopped breast feeding. anyways, i got the mirena because it was cheaper than the other one, just as simple as that, but still expensive....but SOOOOO worth it. I hate the pill. i never remembered to take it. why is my daughter waking up again,,,gotta jet.....so close for yoU!!
lots of love

jaesi said...

Abstinence. That seems to be the only way I DONT get preg.
Pauls not a fan.

Staci said...

I just had my Mirena removed. I know most people love it, but I hated it. I bled for EIGHT weeks straight after I got it, spotted and cramped ever other week after that and felt nausious and hungry all of the time. I have felt so much better since I had it out. The Mirena and I just don't mesh! Good luck deciding.

Heather B said...

Haha Jaesi! Understandably so.

Mandy said...

I had the mirena placed after my second and didn't have a period for about 10 months. It was great. I didn't have a single problem with it at all so I had another one placed after my last baby. So far it has been great again. I decided on the mirena because my periods are normally pretty heavy with a lot of cramps and the non-hormonal one would make them even worse. I couldn't have that! Good luck deciding, but remember that nothing is fool-proof. Except for Jaesi's theory of course.

Kat Clark said...

I liked the Nuva ring which is a form of estrogen birth control. You only have to worry about it twice a month and since it is always in contact with your body you never experience crazy mood swings. Well at least I never did. It worked like a champ for us for three years.
As for the IUD option. I have heard about like 3 different women getting pregnant while on it and then having a high risk pregnancy. I guess since the doctor can't remove it from your cervix once you are pregnant it makes things a little crazy.
I think that whatever you choose will be fine. You are definitely the kind of person who educates herself on all sides of an issue so I know you will make a great choice!

Live everyday to its fullest said...

I have the Mirena now and its ok...I still spot and its been like 4 mos. They said it would stop after 3 so...not sure. I do cramp but nothing I cant handle I usually cramp and bleed like CRAZY. I like the idea of no pill so I dont forget it and get pregnant! Not really moody or hungry. I also tried the Nuva ring and LOVED IT! I did that for 2 years and it was good. Although Brian said he could feel it when we had sex...also...THIS IS GRAPHIC WOMEN...my doctor told me that if I was constipated AT ALL or needed to push hard to take it out so it didnt fall into the toilet and get contaminated. I HATED that part so...as Kat said you will educated yourself and decide whats right for you! GOOD LUCK!!!

Nadine said...

I'm not really sure. i was on bc pills for about 8 mos before i realized that it made my body and mind crazy and i decided i didn't want anything in my body that wasn't supposed to be there. we use this stuff called contraceptrol. its like a spermacide you put in before sex. kinda sucks to have to do it, but i don't have any of the wierd side effects that i did with hormonal birth controls.

Distant Coussens said...

I have had Mirena for just over 3 years now and no complaints. I actually stopped having my period altogether which is nice, but that doesn't happen for everyone. It's a good way to go if you don't want to have anything to worry about, like remembering to take pills. I used to be on the Depo shot, but it made me crazy moody. However my friend has been on it for years with no problems, just different for everyone I guess. Anyway the IUD is pretty easy, and with insurance I only paid $60 to get it.

Mel said...

I've got the Mirena and it's fine. Bled for about two weeks. I cramp and spot a little when I am supposed to have my period. Although I have started having some different kind of pain on my right side. I see my dr on Wednesday to ask about it. I hope it isn't attached to the Mirena and is just something dumb.

Anonymous said...

I think it is so funny that you are talking birth control and your little baby count down on the side bar says 2 days... and she is just floating in a circle in that little thing!! Ha! 2 days! 2 days!! yeah!

Jill said...

Well, I'll chime in.
Several years ago Chuck and I took a really great class at the St. Rose Women's Center on the Creighton Model of birth control and learned so much about my body! Seriously, this is more what sex ed in schools should be. It's very catholic and a little impractical for us so we modified it some(which they do NOT endorse)

The key is knowing my body and having a willing husband. I know when I'm ovulating and we use condoms/abstinence during iffy times in my cycle. I also recomend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

If I had a very serious reason for not getting pregnant for several years then I would use the IUD with the copper that you mentioned before.

I try to stay open to a baby even if I think it is less than ideal and am usually comfortable with 70-90% efficacy. I know natural methods can be very very effective, I'm just not a real precise kind of person. It's not for everyone, but it works for us. Anna is 3 1/2.

Also, breatfeeding at night decreases the hormone that spurs on ovulation.(Of course, everyone's body is different)

Crystal said...

IUD!! IUD!!! IUD!! I had the Mirena for nearly two years after I had Lincoln and seriously loved it. My periods were super light & short (I would just use a panty 90% of the time). And we did the math on it & it cost us less than the Pill would have (but each insurance is different of course).

I have a strong history of breast cancer in my family so I was nervous about the hormones in it as well, but it uses WAY less than the pill and it has actually been shown to decrease certain types of cancers (although I can't remember which ones :)

Morgan said...

This will be long....

I had a Paragaurd. I can't have the extra hormones that regular BC gives me because I have a condition that causes blood clots easier. So the lack of hormones was my HUGE deciding factor for me and my doc.

Anyway, I would recommend the IUD to anyone...but I won't every do it myself again. Sounds totally contradictive right? Well my uterus didn't like the IUD too much because it is tilted and it began expelling the IUD on its own...but not through the regular cervix opening. It expelled it into my intestines. In March, I had a 2 1/2 hour surgery to remove it because of the complications. They had to cut into my belly button and csection scar. It sucked.

But that is so ABNORMAL. My doc said he had never seen anything like that and doesn't think he ever will again.

That is why I recommend it but won't have it myself anymore.

It's like a diabetic recommending a snickers bar. They know they are so yummy but they can't have it themselves. Make sense?

Heather B said...

Wow, Morgan, that's a crazy experience! I get exactly what you're saying though. I also appreciate everyone else's input...so thanks guys.

Tara and David said...

Heather I am in total agreement with Jaesi...we have gotten pregnant each time without trying. Ya don't know how #2 happened my husband is never home early during the month of december, so the one time he came home early from work...before midnight, 9 months later baby #2. Pill or no pill it hasn't worked. But I have not tried the IUD, the pill makes me crazy so I am concerned with the IUD and the hormones with that. But many people I know love them. Good luck!
Hope baby #2 comes soon and smoothe!

Kristen said...

Mine will be long too.

I'm on my second Mirena and I have LOVED it both times. It is honestly the ONLY thing that keeps me from not getting pregnant. With Kate, I got pregnant on birth control and I never even missed a pill. Can you say Fertile Mertile? I started asking my doctor about other BC options when I was 6 months pregnant as well, haha. I was terrified of getting pregnant right after I had Kate!

I had the Mirena put in 6 weeks after I had Kate. I bled for about 6 weeks after it was placed (super light bleeding, though) and then after that I had a completely regular period the entire time I had it in. BUT, my period was 2-3 days max and it was so light (practically spotting) I could get away with a panty liner and nothing else.

When we were somewhat ready to start trying again, I had it removed. They say it will take 2-3 months to be able to get pregnant again after having it removed. We were pregnant exactly 2 1/2 months after it was removed (after one regular period - and yes, we were "preventing" by using condoms at the time and we both know for a fact that we prevented EVERY single time... more proof that the IUD works miracles!).

I had my second Mirena placed 6 weeks after Jonas was born, and my experience has been even better this time aroud because I have had ZERO periods since having it placed. This time after getting it, I spotted for about 4 weeks and then I haven't had any period or anything since. At first I thought it was because I was nursing, but when I quit nursing Jonas I still didn't ever get a period. It's heaven!

I have a few friends who got the copper IUDs and they have hated them. Their periods are uncontrollable and last a really long time.

I wouldn't worry AT ALL about the dosage of hormones on the Mirena. It's a WAY WAY lower dosage than even the mini-pill. I have had zero emotional effects from the IUD and I felt like I was super emotional for the 3 months I was n the pill.

Also, getting it put in is a breeze. A little uncomfortable and a little cramping, but so worth it.

Good luck deciding! Let us know what you decide, I'm curious.

Traci said...

Ok, so here is my two sense.... I LOVE the mirena I am on my second one and with both of them never got a period! Great! When I was ready to get pregnant the second time my doctor took it out and I was pregnant the next month. I did spot and cramp alittle with the one that I have now, but it has been in since June and it is fine now. I think if you want to wait awhile before having another kid that an iud is the way to go. Who wants to woory about taking a pill every day when you have 2 kids to take care of!? But if you have some serious concerns talkto your doctor because they definitely know more then any of us. All I can really say is that I have had a good experience with them :)

Emily Blais said...

I also had the mirena and LOVED IT! I cant wait to get it back it!!! The copper one sounds weird to me. I heard that the coper one has been around in the US longer, but the mirena had been used in Europe for years and years before it came to the US, so that could be why. Anyway, I dont think you can go wrong with it. No need to be scared of the mirena though. Its awesome!

Cluff Family said...

I also had the Mirena and loved it. I had it taken out and had Kimber, then on the island they only offered the copper IUD's so that is what I have now. It's been great so far. It is nice not to have to worry about the hormonal/mood swings brought on by the pill. We've loved them both. Good luck with the decision ;)

Jill

Emily Lauren said...

Okay, kalia is THE cutest cheetah I have ever seen- she looks absolutely adorable :) I love it! And I agree with the whole Obama-change thing.
I have the Mirena and haven't noticed any hormonal side effects (when taking the pill I remember being hungry all of the time & that sucked). I also hardly ever have a period, and if I do it's like 1-2 days with minimal cramping.
My Dr. said it's the most reversible form of birth control so, as soon as it's out, you can get pregnant (not 2-3 months later).
I would highly recommend it.

Emily Blais said...

and PS, I also got pregnant the month after I got it out. So it does not take 2-3 months to get pregnant.

Christa said...

Totally love the Mirena. It's working great for me with no problem. Even though it secretes a small amount of hormone, I don't feel weird at all (like with the pill) Will definitely keep doing this after each baby. I loved too that my doc put it in at my 6 week checkup, ya know with the green light and all it was nice to not have to worry. :) I'm thinking about getting it out soon though.....

Christa said...

Totally love the Mirena. It's working great for me with no problem. Even though it secretes a small amount of hormone, I don't feel weird at all (like with the pill) Will definitely keep doing this after each baby. I loved too that my doc put it in at my 6 week checkup, ya know with the green light and all it was nice to not have to worry. :) I'm thinking about getting it out soon though.....

Morgan said...

And because I can't have a vaginal delivery, the IUD hurt like bloody hell to be put in. I was supposed to have a mole on my thigh removed right after but I couldn't because I was shaking so bad from the pain.

A thing about the mirena is that the hormones are so localized that it doesn't have the same effects "hormotionally" as other BC. Of course I had the copper so I don't know from experience, just what i was told.

brit said...

first of all, someone said "who wants to think about bc when you have two kids to take care of?" sadly, i thought, who wants to think about SEX with two kids. TOTALLY KIDDING. im not that kind of girl. BUT-i am also considering getting an iud so i appreciate all these comments. i think my mind is made up.

Rachel said...

Wow, I've just learned a lot about other forms of birth control besides the pill. I've never had trouble with the pill. I was on it before we had Emily. I did the mini-pill thing between Emily and Karter and then again between Karter and Wyatt. I am now on Loestrin 24 and have been since I stopped nursing Wyatt in May. I have only had one period since then and it was super light. It's one of the blessed side effects of Loestrin 24 and it seems to work so I'll probably stick with it. All the comments have been quite enlightening though.

Todd, Katie & Averi said...

I love the Mirena. I do not have any problems like I did with the pills or the shot or the Paragard.

Find The Time Mama said...

Wow this is a lot of great info ladies. Perfect timing for me to read this. I am going in for my Pap Smear on Monday and I am thinking about changing from the minipill to a IUD. I need a couple more years before we start trying again and I don't want an oops baby because I am not completely consistent with the pill. Does anyone have more sex when they are pregnant then when they are not pregnant? This seems to be the case with me. Maybe just knowing you already have baby in there and nothing to worry about... LOL anyway thanks for the info.

Phil and Holly said...

I talked to my midwife today about possibly doing the Mirena after having this baby and when I got home my mom referred me to your blog post and said to read all your comments! hah! Who knew youd be having readers looking up your posts from 2 years ago huh? :) Very informative! Whatd you end up doing by the way? I think I'm pulling for the Mirena as Im not planning on getting pregnant again for 3 or 4 years
-Holly
P.S. My husband and I's thoughts and prayers have been with you and your family

Jamey said...

I love that you did this post! I remember reading it when it was posted...and now I am trying to decide what to do, and I remembered your post, and have been reading everyones comments again.

What are you going to do now? :)