Monday, November 17, 2008

I am Thankful

When I started this post, I had just spent my first day alone with both girls. Things went so well. Kalia was perfect. Annaliese slept most of the day and only woke up to eat and get changed. When one of them needed me, the other one didn't. My stitches didn't hurt at all. I got a nap and a hot bath. I was feeling so proud of myself, that clearly I could handle two kids, no problem.

Then I have a day like today, where Kalia can't stop whining, and everything she touches turns into a mess. Annaliese seems to have lots of gas today. They both seem to need me at the same time. I smell like spit-up and my stitches are hurting a lot. I had to call Samuel to come home and help me for a little bit. It was just a hard day.

That's when I decided it was probably more important than ever to remember some of the things that I am grateful for. I shouldn't expect every day to be so easy, after all, that wouldn't teach me the "opposition in all things" lesson, and plus, obviously it would go to my head and I would be prideful. So, here's to hoping for a better day tomorrow. And here are a few things to remember, just in case tomorrow isn't much better.I'm grateful that...


1. At least Kalia likes her sister. She gets excited whenever she sees her, and sometimes she starts crying when she hears her little sister cry. And she is even generous enough to share "her" swing.
2. Annaliese has been a great breastfeeder. I wish I could take credit, but she came out knowing exactly what to do with her little mouth so that I haven't had to experience the blisters and the pain that can come along with breastfeeding. That's been a real blessing.


3. I'm grateful for Emily Y. I visit teach her, but she's done way more for me than I've ever done for her. She sent over a "goody bag" full of herbal remedies for me and Kalia (who has a croupy cough) and they are AWESOME! Something about that just really appeals to me, like I am tapping into some of the natural resources that Heavenly Father created to help with physical ailments. Thanks again Emily!
4. I'm grateful for CO-SLEEPING!! I know a lot of people think it's bad or whatever, but I love it so much. I'm a side-sleeper anyway, and so it's easy for me to curl up around her and sleep soundly that way. Then, when she wakes up, I don't even have to hardly wake up, I just latch her on and we both fall back asleep (unless a diaper change is in order.) I love feeling her tiny breaths on my skin.
5. I'm grateful for Baby Einstein. It's the one thing that is keeping Kalia distracted long enough for me to write this!
6. I'm grateful that I haven't felt depressed. I have been kind of irritable at times, and Samuel is trying hard to be patient. I pulled out some books to try to prove to him that it's just hormones, (and not me being witchy on purpose) but anyway, I guess irritable is better than depressed.
7. I'm grateful that Kalia is sleeping so good. She only took one nap yesterday, so I put her to bed at SIX p.m. She slept til 8:30 a.m.! I can hardly believe this is the same child that had to be bounced (and not rocked) to sleep (for 20 minutes), only to stay asleep for 39 minutes, exactly (back in her newborn days.)
8. I'm grateful for a support network of friends, family, and bloggers. Everyone has just been so great and you guys make it so much easier to go through things like this. Thanks again.
9. I'm grateful that I happened to watch Oprah on the day she announced a free photo book from Snapfish...I can't wait for it to come. I want to do lots of these, they are so cool.
10. I'm grateful to have two beautiful girls that I just love to death. It's true-- love doesn't divide, it multiplies. Even on hard days, it's all worth it when you get a hug, a kiss, a smile, a giggle, or just a good burp from one of your babies. Life's little pleasures.

23 comments:

Crystal said...

Yes yes, there are bound to be good days & bad days, but it sounds like you are handling it all swimmingly!

So funny about Kalia sleeping! Lincoln was very similar--had to be bounced on an exercise ball (no rocking!) till he was nearly asleep and then he would nap for 28 minutes. Every time.

I watched that Oprah on my DVR a few days after it aired so I missed the free book :(

Jamey said...

I am glad that things are going well. Hopefully the good days are outweiging the bad ones.

I am still working on my book from Oprah. When I put my scrapbook pages on it - it says that it is low resulution, so I am worried about that. Did you have that problem, or did you just use pictures?

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

I totally loved this post! It is so easy to feel bad for yourself on the bad days and no be appreciative enough for the good days! Thanks for the reminder!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

P.S. I was a total hypocrite on the co-sleeping. I swore I would NEVER do it. Nathan was in bed with us for a long time and now he starts the night in his crib and ends up in with us anywhere between 3:30 and 5:00. Love it too!

Miranda said...

It seems like just yesterday that Kalia was the baby in the swing.

Kristen said...

That was a great post. I love this time of year because I'm always being reminded to be grateful for things.

Heather B said...

Jamey- I had several pictures say the same thing, so I just put them in smaller layouts and I'll let you know how good/bad it turns out!

Anonymous said...

Even though I wish every day could be a good day, the bad ones make me appreciate the good ones even more. I'm still working on my Snapfish book too...Hopefully our books will turn out looking great.

Emma said...

It's good to hear you are normal and have good days and bad days too! Graditude is hard to recognize sometimes, I loved your list!

Krystal Trapnell said...

I still can't get over all that dark hair! I can't wait to see her in person! Hang in there, it definitely will get easier.

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet! I am all for co-Sleeping! I think I even do it a little too long... Like Trace was 6 and I was still trying to break him from coming and sleeping with mom and dad!! Ha! you are so blessed even on "those" days!! the joys of being a Mom!

Kat Clark said...

Once again...tears! Would you stop posting sweet things like this! You know I am pregnant and hormonal!!! No really, don't stop because it is so cute. :)

Lisha said...

I'm so glad to know that I am not the only with some of those same feelings. Glad you had a good day!:)

Emily said...

I think we are going to have to invest in a family bed. Last night in our queen size bed slept Greg & I, both the boys and a way too big dog who thinks she's tiny! But I woke up feeling very loved :) I think it's great to go with what feels right for you whether or not it's considered acceptable. Your family will be the better for it! Gratitude is what puts our blessings into action! Keep up the great attitude and you will be blessed more than you will be able to receive! you're doing great!

Tara Wayne Malakai Maddux Kenya Alofipo said...

amen sista!! definitly remember the things your are greatful for, healthy kids etc ... when you want to beat them! thats what i do!!

Julie said...

We had a hard day yesterday so this really helped me remember to be thankful even for the trials that come along with having children because they are our greatest blessings! Thanks for the perspective. Oh, and I am a huge fan of the co-sleeping thing too. I don't even think Ben made it to his own bed last night. Gracie and Sammy still climb into our bed if they wake up at night too. My husband doesn't really like that, but I can't think of anything sweeter than a sleep cuddly child who just wants his/her mommy! Love it!

Meili said...

I'm grateful for good burps too.

Rachel said...

You've got two beautiful little girls and I know it does a lot of good to write down what we are thankful for!

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart! I feel for you and have totally been there. What a great idea to remind yourself of the things you are grateful for...when in the thick of a hard day it was easy for me to sucked into the vortex better known as self pity! Keep your chin up and know you are in my thoughts and prayers! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new baby! My daughter's a month older then Kalia and I'm still trying to work up the desire to get pregnant, I admire you! Annaliese is adorable though, and your posts are making me get a little bit of baby fever..!

Noel said...

Yeah for a healthy baby! I was talking to Krystal yesterday and I asked how you were doing--totally forgetting that you had had you sweet baby! What a great surprise. I just got all caught up and am so happy that you have a healthy sleeper! And yeah for the Vbac! Annaliese is sooo cute, I am really excited for a girl now! She looks like Kalia's sis. Congrats on your two beauties!

Brandi Schall said...

I heart co-sleeping. With babies, though. Not 5-year-olds. ;)

Staci said...

Your girls are seriously so gorgeous!!!