Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Labor Day

Yes, Labor Day is coming up (in September) - in fact, some of Samuel's family will be here to visit. Yay! But the Labor Day that's on my mind is the other labor day. And I have to be honest. I'm scared. My achy back comes and goes, but I've had two really big contractions that made my eyes water and took my breath away.

HOW AM I GOING TO DO IT?? I can barely get through those few seconds, and I'm supposed to breathe through these every few minutes, for hours??

I know I'm not supposed to be afraid, cause fear causes tension which causes more pain, blah blah blah. I know. But still. I was so excited to have my baby, now I'm wondering if I should just hope she stays in there longer so I can put off Scary Labor.

For those of you who are wondering, I AM planning on getting the epidural. ESPECIALLY now that I've had a TINY taste of labor pains.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both really tough and have had natural births. I respect that SO much, and they are not pressuring me to do it (although I'm sure it would make them proud.)

However, I have discovered that my pain threshold is low. That's all.

So, blogging friends, please tell me your labor stories. And it's OKAY if they're long, hard, scary labor stories. Tell me what your "early labor" signs were, and then the "real labor" signs, and even describe your contractions. Tell me about your c/section, if you had one, and what the recovery was really like.

I'd rather have a better idea of what to expect (as opposed to a sugar coated story). My motto is expect the worst, hope for the best, and enjoy the in-between.

That's all for now.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather, I had braxton hicks contractions (including back contractions) for about 2 weeks before I actually went into labor. My water broke at 10:30 pm and I sat on the bed digging my nails into Erik's arm as I went through the first contraction. He didn't even wake up. All the way to the hospital I was squeezing the life out his hand (almost in tears from the pain). The contractions hurt really bad and I was only at a 4 when I got to the hospital. The hard stuff hadn't even started. Once I got that epidural though, I was able to doze. Oh boy did it help. I apologized to Erik for mangling his hand and said, "Oh, it didn't even hurt." Geesh if it had been my hand, I'm sure bones would have broken. I'm not going to lie. Contractions hurt really bad, but also just knowing why you are going through them and what the outcome of them all, makes them a little easier to bear (just a little). And the epidural is a life savor. I don't think I could have gone through a natural birth (especially the ring of fire). If you've never heard of that, the ring of fire is what they call it when the head starts crowning. Apparently you literally feel like you are on fire. Not something I want to experience. I hope this helped a little. And also like they say, you do forget how bad it really hurts. You remember that it hurts bad, but not the extent of how bad.

Brandi Schall said...

Olivia: I had mild contractions for a few days leading up to it. I had no idea what to expect so we went in to the hospital a little early. Mine felt like a lot of pressure. My stomach would get sooo hard, like a giant rock, it felt like a really bad cramp. When we went into the hospital they put a monitor on me and observed me for an hour or so. The nurses deemed I wasn't making enough progress so they sent me home.

AJ and I got into the elevator and on our way down, lo and behold my water broke! There was a lady in there with us, poor thing! So when she got out we pushed the button to take us back up and we were admitted.

The pain was SO BAD when I was getting IV fluids waiting for my epidural. The worst pain is after your water breaks. AJ was pushing on my knees (I was semi-upright, knees curled up to my chest--labor position) with all his body weight. It did help manage the pain, oddly! Once I got the epidural the pain was a fraction of what it was. It was like a numb tightening. My epi was really strong, I was NUMB. So I just did what I thought I had to do to push, and I pushed for maybe 20 min. before Olivia came. From water breaking to birth was only 4 hours! :)

Recovery is not fun. I ripped, so I had to deal with stitches, witch-hazel pads, squirting water after going potty-- I seriously cried every time! My boobs hurt way bad, too when my milk came in. It was a catch-22 to take a hot shower because warmth makes more milk come down and instead of soothing them, makes them worse! But it was worth it! And I did it again!

Elsa: I had mild contractions all day, and once they got more regular we took Liv to my sister's and headed for the hospital. They made me walk around for an hour, I wasn't making much progress. I was admitted because my OB knew how fast I was once things got rolling. They hooked up the IV and it wasn't bad, I was watching TV and joking with AJ. After I got to a certain dialation, a doc broke my water--THAT was the worst part of it all! I hated it! I wish somehow I could make it so my water breaks naturally every time!

The contractions got stronger, and then I got Pitocin. I have heard bad things so I wasn't stoked to get it. But, it made my cont. much stronger and helped them along better--but those cont. were way worse on the pitocin.

I did finally get my epidural. This time wasn't as strong, so I could still feel some pain and I wasn't numb. It was so much better, I could actually feel when I was having Elsa, and I think it helped it go faster. Once I was ready the nurse wanted me to push, but then we waited for my Dr. since I was pushing so great :) I think I pushed through 2 contractions and she was here!

From being admitted to birth was 6 hrs. The recovery was so much better the second time around. I didn't tear, so no stitches! And the engorgement was way less and lasted fewer days. It's very reassuring that it gets easier every time!

Good luck, sorry for the novel, but you asked for it! I had to tell you both because every story is different! You will do wonderfully, you draw strength from deep-down, and you come out knowing you're stronger than you ever thought! Even with an epidural or c-section, it's still a great accomplishment to give birth!

Mel said...

You know my stories...like Hallie, the contractions last a while in the start (I think it's just that way for the first one). And I Like Brandi, I was sent home when I thought I was in labor the first time.

The nurses are right when they say "if you can talk on the phone and aren't bending over in pain...then you probably aren't in labor" I hated those nurses who said that. I just wanted to be admitted and get that epidural.

How ironic that labor day is just around the corner!!!

Crystal said...

Here's my story:

I started having regular contraction at 11 PM. They started out like 7-10 minutes apart. I also started spotting & had diarrhea every time I had a contraction. (My mom told me that was the FOR SURE sign of real labor. Was for me anyway. :) Neil went to sleep but I couldn't so I walked around the apartment for a few hours. (Walking was way more comfortable than sitting/laying.)

I took a warm shower and then woke Neil up and we left for the hospital at about 3 AM, when my contractions were about 5 minutes apart. Since I was like the only one at the hospital I got my epidural like 20 minutes after I was admitted. Nice! I was also dialated to like a 5. Before my epidural, my contractions weren't terribly uncomfortable...my belly & back just got super tight, but not very painful.

After getting my epidural I rested for a few hours (except the nurses check on you like every hour, so it wasn't TOO restful). The docs broke my water. I started pushing at about 10 AM. After 2.5 hours of pushing we still didn't have a baby. Lincoln was trying trying to come out ear first. The docs tried to suction him out, turn him, etc but nothing helped. At about 12:30 I went in to the OR for my c-section. Surprise!!! I was totally NOT prepared for that. Since I had been pushing so long, Lincoln head was engaged in the birth canal. My insision was where his neck was so they totally had to fight to get his head. They had to push his body up into my chest. OOOOWWWWW!!!! Anyway, Lincoln was born about an hour later, at 1:42 PM. So from beginning to end, my labor was about 14.5 hours.

The recovery was ridiculous! You have ZERO ab muscles so the simplest things were so hard. I couldn't even sit up out of bed. And laughing! Fuhgetaboutit!!!! And my OB said not to carry anything heavier than a gallon of milk (~8 lbs) but Lincoln was well over that from the beginning so I didn't get the nice, slow recovery that some women get.

And yeah...your boobs are totally gonna hurt when your milk comes in. And they are going to be all leaky. I remember waking up one morning in a giant puddle-o-breakmilk. Yuck! Breastfeeding is going to KILL too and be super awkward for the first few weeks, but SOOO worth it. (I think anyway.)

I like that you asked for everyone's stories! It's fun to read about what everyone went thru.

jaesi said...

It will be easy..dont worry...and even if its hard you will still get through it....
Its good that our bodies cant physically remember pain cause if that was the case then I dont think kids would be born. After all is said and done....you will have loved it all.
My water never broke but I have always passed my plug and that seemed to do the trick for me. But with Asher I was induced a week early...
The worst part of it all for me is the danged IVs in your veins. That what I remember HATING!

brit said...

Well, I have done it both ways....natural and with the epidural. I liked natural better....although at the time I was in labor the natural way I thought some pretty rotten words that I would not say out loud. Drake was born in the hospital. I had back pain all day long and was very irritable (shockingly, more so than the previous eight months.) He was three weeks early so i was not expecting him. Anyways, I had discomfort in my back all day long and then came home to clean the house cause the worst part of being pregnant for me is the nesting....I clean OBSESSIVELY! Anyways, my water broke at like 8 that evening. By the way, there is very little water and it is NOTHING like the movies where water gushes. I seriouslt thought I just peed my pants (not so uncommon in that last month:) We drove to the hospital and I decided maybe I was having some minor contractions, but they were all in my back. When I got there they put me on a machine and said I was having contractions one on top of the other, which is why the pain felt more constant than those that come in intervals. Therefore, I had no idea I had been in labor ALL DAY. I just thought that was the next great part of pregnancy! So, they put a million IVs in my arm and may as well have strapped me to the bed. I wanted to walk around but they didnt really let me. Finally, at about a 6 and a half the nurse told me to have the epidural cause it was my last chance, so i did. Several hours later they told me it was time to push and i pushed for two hours cause I could not feel ANYTHING! He was a total cone head cause of being in the birth canal for so long. He was so cute though. IT was so weird to see him for the first time and i think that I forgot about the pain like right when I saw him and never thought about it again until I was in labor with Tanner:)
BUT, the worst pain for me with Drake was when I nursed. No one told me that that makes you contract and it HURT! I think that was worse cause you are holding the baby and cant just roll up in a ball or what ever. Anyways, Drake was really not all that bad. It was a little hard to come off the epidural and my stitches were uncomfortable. But, all in all it was NOT THAT BAD! I was like you, when the nurse checked me for the first time and said "your going home with a baby" I lost my mind thinking, "Crap, I have to get it out and its much bigger than when It went in!" So, I expected the worst and experienced something much less than that. (Once I had the epidural, I felt NOTHING! It didnt hurt to push and i didnt feel him come out at all.)
Tanner was born at home and if you plan on an epidural I wont shock you with gory details of the pain. It was far worse than expected, but a MUCH shorter labor and the recovery was like two days compared to like 6 weeks with Drake. I LOVED having him at home, although I dont think I would be brave enough to do it again. I have been lucky twice and that is enough for me. But, with both my boys, the second you see them, there is this amazing softness and sense of love that you honestly did not know existed within you! WOW, just talking about this is making me a little baby hungry. I better stop before I decide I am ready for more. GOOD LUCK! YOu are a total champ and you just have to know what you want and then not be afraid to ask for it. Request a nurse to be with you and teach you some techniques to deal with the pain. (Get on your hands and knees, walk, have Samuel massage your back, etc.) One more thing I remembered, when you are getting ready to push, your Dr. may take oils and massage your vagina (did I just say Vagina?) Anyways, I have known women who have had their hubbys do that prior to start to stretch them out and it has been great. Not so much tearing and stuff. Just gentle and a little bit each day. Are you grossed out yet? Dont ever think of this when you see me....We never talked about your Vagina, okay?
GOOD LUCK!
By the way, Hallie is right about the ring of fire.....EXCRUCIATING and no one ever mentioned it to me and with the epidural I didnt experience it. Which made it a MAJOR shocker when i was having Tann!

brit said...

By the way, my boobs dont hurt when the milk comes in....only when i wean my babies! Hopefully that is something you can look forward to!

Lisha said...

This is an answer to your question.....not about my labor. Linda is married to my first cousin Mitch North.

Anonymous said...

wow- mine kind of sounds easy compared to everyone else. i had two false alarms...don't feel dumb if that happens to you because how are you supposed to know what to expect...right?! ;) so, i woke up monday morning, did the normal morning routine of breakfast, shower, etc. we were debating whether or not to have tam go to work, but decided he should. about 10, i was in doing my hair and all of a sudden i couldn't stand up straight anymore...it hurt so bad...like brandi said, it felt like a huge cramp. so, first i called my mom to see what she thought. i felt dumb going back to the hospital. after talking with her, we decided i had probably better go. i called tamron and he was working 30 minutes away...doh!! so i called my mom back and my parents just happend to by right by my house...so they came and picked me up. we decided to let tam work since we weren't sure if it was going to be another false alarm. by the time i got in there, it was 11:00. the nurse that checked me, had checked me before...so she just assumed i would probably be going home again...not this time. I was at a 6+...i'm not sure if it's true or not, but i've heard that you can't get an epidural after you pass a 7...i was freaking out. i hadn't even filled out the paper work at the hospital...so that's what my mom and i did first. then once that was done, they said i could have my epidural...i got that around noon. by that time, tam made it to the hospital. then we just waited until i got far enough to start pushing. and the whole time we were waiting, my doctor was MIA. they couldn't get a hold of him. so they were telling me that some other doctor would probably have to deliver phoebe. i was so bummed. so the other doctor came in and broke my water without saying a word to me...i was bugged...he was so rude, so i kept praying my doctor would get his messages. i started pushing when it was about 4:00...my doctor finally came! I was so happy!! then it all happend really fast. phoebe was born at 4:06...i hardly had to push. it was awesome!! sorry, this is so long!! ;) the end! you'll do wonderful!!! good luck!

Heather B said...

Wow, this is really cool to hear everyone's stories...way to go girls! Keep 'em coming. Novels are fine. :)

Emma said...

Oh honey, don't worry your pretty little head. Everything will be fine. You are very strong, you have a wonderful husband who will be with you. You're ready, you just don't know it yet.

As for me, here is my story.
First let me just say I was so sick the week before I had Andrina. I had the worst cold of my life, I was still throwing up everyday, and then I got strep throat. I remember just praying that I wouldn't until I had the strength to simply function. Thankfully that prayer was answered.
I went into labor on a Sunday night. My contractions were 3 minutes apart and were getting stronger (I thought they were really bad.. they were cake compared to what was coming!). We live just a block from the hospital and I did NOT want to be sent home. So, I stayed up all night walking around and doing everything I could to feel comfortable while Kevin slept. When he woke up we went into the hospital. After an entire night of contractions every 3 minutes I was only dilated to a 2! I cried.

Labor continued just the same that day. The machine that they hook you up to to track your contractions was right next to my head. I could watch and feel my contractions at the same time... a double whammy. They measured the contractions from 1 to 14. For 6 hours my contractions would go from level 12 up to 14 and stay there for about 5 minutes, and then go down to about 13. Basically what that meant was that my body wasn't relaxing as it should between contractions. I was drawing near to 24 hours of labor and they FINALLY gave me a muscle relaxer to help me to be comfortable. After a couple hours of manageable pain they checked me again. I had dilated to a 3. I cried.

It continued like this for another couple hours.

Finally I got theepidural and it was wonderful! I hadn't slept for almost two days and I was so exhausted. I got a couple hours of sleep and then awoke to the pain of contractions. They checked me.. I was at a 6! WaHOO!! The doctor came and said things looked like they were progressing. He broke my water and I could see the light at the end of the tunnel... and I'm sure Andrina could too! The doc told me that he would quote, "let your epidural wear off and then I'll be back around 1pm and we'll have this baby." I was still sleep deprived, i said okay and he left. After he left I looked at the nurse with complete fear and said, "wait for the epidural to wear off?!" No no no, I'm not that tough. I cried.

The nurse comforted me, told me to lay on my right side and not to worry.

I'd been laying on my side for about 2 minutes when I felt a whole lot of pressure. Kevin called the nurse in and she check me... we were having a baby! The nurse could see her head. I had to have an epesiodomy (sp?) because the doctor could tell I was going to tear. I hadn't really prepared myself for that. When the doctor made the cut, the room was silent and the sound of him cutting my flesh was awful. I couldn't feel it but the sound was awful... I'll never forget it. After that I pushed twice and she was here! After 40 hours of labor I was so relieved to finally have my little girl here. I cried.

Breast feeding was a breeze for me. Andrina latched on like a champ and I never had any pain when my milk came in. However, the pain from giving birth was worse then labor in my opinion. Considering what your body has just done, it's a bit worn out. On top of that you have a baby that depends on you for everything. I was so grateful that Kevin was able to be home for so long to help me. I was able to get some sleep and take some baths (take your baths, they help SO much in recovering!!!)
One other thing I didn't expect was the day after labor my body was so worn out from being in labor for so long. Every muscle in my body hurt, every breath I took was painful. I was a bit concerned but my doctor explained it like this, "Having a baby is a full body work out" AMEN!

Next time this is my game plan. Go to the hospital, tell them my name and that I am in labor and YES I want my epidural NOW, have them break my water and have a baby... now doesn't that sound easier!?

Again, don't worry so much about it. Enjoy the process. It will happen, be it 4 hours or 40. The moment you see her beautiful face you know you'd do it all over again.
And then one day you'll forget about all the pain and decide to do it again.

Annelise said...

hi, im a friend of emily blais. i regularly blog stalk and ive read your blog a couple times, but i'll spare you my labor story since you don't even know me. but i do have one thing to maybe "advise" besides just getting the epidural . . . get it as soon as you can! :) i heard a lot of talk that getting it too soon would slow down labor, etc etc, so i was really scared to get it at first, but my water had broken, and that makes contractions much harder (there isnt any more fluid in there to "soften the blow" and because with pitocin they aren't "real" contractions) and plus my baby was positioned against my back, so i was getting contractions in the front and back. ANYWAY, i got the epidural way sooner than i had originally planned, and i am SOOO glad i did! nothing slowed down at all. 2 hours later i had a baby. but something else to keep in mind is that EVERYONES experience is SO UNIQUE! thats part of the magic :) congrats, and good luck with everything!!

Heather B said...

Thanks Anneliese, that's a great tip, cause I have been worried about the length of time and not progressing, etc....So, CUTE little boy you have! I love his name ;) I'm going to start blog stalking you too.

Note: Blog stalking is cool. All blog stalkers are always welcome to comment! See! New friends!

Julie said...

Well, you said blog stalkers were welcome. I don't know if you remember me, but we went to high school together. I was Julie Banks then, but Julie Keith now. I have been watching your blog for awhile. When I saw that you were having a baby I couldn't help myself.

My labors were also very different from each other. I went into labor with Gracie at noon on her due date. I stayed at home and "nested" until later that evening because I also didn't want to be sent home. I went to the hospital around 9:00 pm. Contractions hurt so much worse than I had expected. I finally got an epidural after being there for a couple of hours, but it never really worked. I had some relief on one side of my body for a few hours but that was it. Finally they called the doctor back in to give me another shot. He told me I wouldn't be having a baby for at least 4 hours after that because they were giving me such a large dose. I started pushing about 30 minutes later (the second dose didn't work either). I pushed for 15 minutes and at 2:15am the nurses told me to stop pushing because my doctor hadn't shown up yet (boy was I cursing her in my head). I waited for the doctor until 3:00, panting through contractions is NOT fun. The doctor on call finally arrived and sweet little Gracie was born 15 minutes later. Total labor 15 hours and 15 minutes.

I was induced with Samuel 6 days before my due date (my new doctor was an angel of mercy!). I went in at 7:00 am and had to be given IV penecillin because I was strep B positive (a bacteria that won't harm us but will our babies that all women have at some time or another). I had a bad reaction to all three doses of the penecillin I was given and almost passed out each time. I didn't have an epidural with Sammy because it didn't work with Gracie. I know my labor was SO much easier the second time around (something to look forward to with more children). I played card games with my mom and husband until I was dilated to a 7.

Anyway, sorry about the novel, but I want to second some of the other things people have said. Know what you want ahead of time and the hospital staff will bend over backwards to help you. Remember why you are going through the pain (there is a HUGE reward at the end of it all). Oh and write down your experience afterwards. You will not believe how bad your memory will get about an experience you never thought you would forget. Anyway, good luck and it is SO worth it when you hold your sweet little girl for the first time!

Kristen said...

I am so excited for you to have your little girl!

Alright, here goes my labor story. I was scheduled to be induced (yes, it's true... I was so fed up I convinced my doc to induce me at 39 weeks, praise the Lord!). At my last appointment, I was at a 2 and I was 100% effaced and I had already lost my mucas plug (sorry, that is stull the grossest word ever) so I was ready to go! I had even been to the hospital the week before and sent home because I wasn't dialating, even though my contractions were really regular... it's ironic - you'll see why.

We got admitted to the hospital on Satuday morning at 5am. I got into my room, changed into a gown, got my IV, and then my doctor came and broke my water. I thought with all of my heart that I would be super quick after my water was broken (my mom has super fast labors and so far our pregnancies had been identical so I assumed our labor would be too). By the way, having my water broken was SO nasty and I hated it more than the contractions. I felt like I was peeing my pants non=stop. They put me on pitocin and told me I could get my epidural anytime. Nope, I sure didn't want it then.. I was "tough" and wanted to try and deliver naturally, with no pain meds. So, after a few minutes, I could really feel the pitocin kicking in. My contractions were getting really hard... couldn't talk through them or breathe through them. I just remember laying on my side and breathing like a maniac and holding onto the hospital bed all white-knuckled. Still didn't want the epidural though. My contractions were coming every 2 minutes and there was only about 30 seconds between each contraction. The nurses would come in and check me every hour to see if I was prgressing. Everytime was SO depressing. I hadn't dialated AT ALL.

Finally, 6pm rolls around - we had been there 13 hours by now - and I was at about a 3, maybe a 4. I still didnt have an epidural, and by this time, I couldn't take one more contraction. I was on the highest dose of pitocin and so the contractions were KILLER - even harder than just normal. They finally convinced me to get an epidural and said I make more progess after I get one because it will help me relax. So I got the epidural... relief! Mine took SO good and I was completely numb. It was like I was paralyzed, I couldn't even wiggle my toes but I wasn't complaining! I finally was able to rest, but I still wasn't making any progess. They stopped checking me every hour and started checking me every 2 to 3 hours. I remember them telling me "once you get to a four it will go fast. Most women go from a 4 to a 10 in an hour or two". So that glorious moment happened around 10pm (yes, after 17 hours of labor)... I was a 3! Did it happen like they said? Nope.

I finally got to a 9 (barely a nine) around 3 in the morning. But, no progress after that. I was at a 9 for 5 hours and hadn't changed at all. Finally around 8am my doc came in and told me he didn't think I was big enough and he didn't think I'd ever get there. My water had been broken for over 24 hours by now, so even though Kate was in NO stress and her heartbeat hadn't faltered once (even after 28 hours of labor) they wanted to do a C-Section. Honestly, after SO long of waiting, I was so happy to hear that. I just wanted my baby to be born! So, they took me in and Kate was born at 9:01am.. 28 hours of labor. But the C-section was super quick, and I thought it was wonderful.

My recovery was so easy. It didn't hurt to walk (minus the fact that my ab muscles had been sliced in half) that bad, so I was up and around the next day.

Nusring didn't work for us, unfortunately. Kate NEVER latched on by herself. There was a short period of time when I nursed using a nipple shield, but that made my milk dry up. I was o upset about not being able to nurse, but from what I've heard, every baby is different so hopefully this baby on the way will nurse easily! That was the biggest struggle of the whole process, for me.

And there you have it, my novel of a delivery story!

Heather B said...

Julie, of course I remember you! I'll start reading your blog too! Yay! So, wow, I do have a little worry that the epidural won't take...or that the doctor isn't around...or, like Kristen, that I won't progress. It will be so fun when I get to see how IT ALL ACTUALLY UNFOLDS!! And like Emma, I'm sure I'll be shedding lots of tears. Haha.
Oh yeah, and Kristen, that's awesome that your c-section recovery wasn't very bad, that's good to hear!!

Jess said...

Here's my story:
Chase was so easy. I was induced a week past my due date. I was already dialated to a 5. When I went in they hooked me up to pitocin, 30 min. later I got my epidural (my contractions were uncomfortable but not too strong) When I was fully dialated, I pushed for 20 minutes, and little Chase was born. The next morning I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I opted not to take pain meds because our insurance sucked and I didn't want to pay 20$ per pill. Trust me...take the meds it's so worth it! Start to finish 9 hrs.
With Tally I was induced 4 days before my due date. I started out dialated to a 2. They used a prostaglandin gel to ripen my cervix. And my body overreacted to it. My contractions started immediately and were on top of each other. Tally was posterier so I had the worst back labor ever...I couldn't sit, lay down or stand, I was walking around feeling like I was going to die! This went on for three hours! I had begged for an epidurial, but my nurse said that she wanted to keep my contractions coming steady. Finally they got a hold of my doc, and he told them to give me my epidural! After that we just waited. After I was fully dialated I pushed for 10 min. And Matthew delivered little Tally. The recovery this time was so much better...mostly because of the pain medication. I noticed that nursing didn't hurt as bad either! So my advice take the meds!!! Star to finish 12 hrs.

Heather B said...

Wow, Jessica, Matthew delivered Tally? That is SO cool! I'm scared of pitocin, I have heard that the contractions are MUCH more painful when you're on it...and back labor, I've heard, is excruciating. But that's great that your pushing was short, that's a bonus!

The Isoms said...

Okay so here is my story but I will try to make it short. Logan was three days late I was dialated to a 4 and was 90%. I went to the hospital saying that I thought I was in labor(really because I was ready to get him OUT). They kept me on monitors for about 3 hours, then the on call dr came in and reviewed my chart..he said that since I was overdue, had Strep B, a 75% chance of a c-section, and I was living in Hurricane at the time he said that he would admit me. The only problem was...no beds! So he sent me to walk around the mall for a couple of hours. I went back to the hospital at 6:00pm. They came in and gave me an IV and a huge shot of Demerol in the rear! OUCH! at five o' clock in the morning they broke my water. At 7:00am I got my epideral and after 2 1/2 hours of straight pushing Logan was born at 2:37 p.m. weighing 8 lbs 4 oz! He was huge(for me).
Raylies was totally different. I hadn't changed in bellie size or gained any weight since the begining of Oct. Her due date was the 20th. So they were a little worried. At the dr. apt(a friday)the week before my due date they did another ultrasound to check her weight, because I still hadn't changed. Luckily the dr decided to enduse me on Mon. So I went to the hospital on Monday at 11:00 they hooked me up on an IV and pit. At 3:00 p.m. the Dr came in and broke my water. At 5:00 p.m. I got my epideral and at 9:00 p.m. I was ready to push, but the dr wasn't there yet...I waited 15 min and them at 9:20 i started pushing and I contraction and three pushing Raylie was out, weighing 6 lbs 5 oz! She was so much easier!
So my labors were both under ten hours! LUCKY! Well I guess this isn't that short, but good luck!