Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Trusting

I guess I knew that a trial was on it's way. Several months ago I was feeling very happy and content with my life. It had been about 5 months since I'd had anything remotely "hard" in my life, and I guess my Spirit just knew it was time to grow again. Samuel was released from the Young Men's Presidency, and given a simple teaching job. So I figured it was time for me to finally have a calling, even though I still had a baby. I didn't have a calling the entire time we were in Vegas, and I thanked the Lord regularly for that, because I didn't really think I could take on one more thing. But the calling never came, and I slipped back into my easy happiness.

But one Sunday afternoon, I was taught a spiritual lesson that I will never forget. Annaliese had taken a major spill out of the bumbo seat, which I had placed on a kitchen chair. She'd gone face-first into the ceramic tile, and landed right on her mouth and nose, and a little bit of blood was trickling out of both nostrils. She screamed like I'd never heard her scream before. I threw Kalia in her crib (literally?) because she was whining and crying and making things very difficult. Then I called a 24 hour nurse hotline, who told me what to watch for, in case I needed to take her in to a doctor.

I spent the next 30 minutes trying to calm her down. The loud screaming quieted down into a sad, painful cry. I tried to feed her, but she wouldn't have it. I knew she was already really tired anyway, so I took her into the dark quiet room and rocked and bounced.

It seemed like I could hear her thoughts, wondering why in the world she was hurting so much, and not knowing when it was going to go away. I knew it probably didn't seem fair to her, there she was just sitting there, innocent as can be, and then all of a sudden WHAM! Major hurting going on.

I was so overcome with love for her. Watching her cry and suffer like that was almost unbearable. So I tried to talk to her, just in case she could understand me. I told her that I knew how much she was hurting. I told her I would take her pain in an instant if I could. I told her that this pain was a part of life, and that she would experience opposition throughout her life, and that it would help her know and understand the good and the sweet. I told her how much I loved her, and since I had a broader perspective of what happened, I asked her to trust me. I knew that the pain would be gone very shortly, and if she could just TRUST me, and be comforted, that it would all be over soon. I just told her over and over: Just trust me! Trust me! Trust me! Tears were rolling down my face.

Then I sang some primary songs to her. She would quiet down when I sang I Am a Child of God. If I tried to sing any other song, she'd start to whimper again, so I'd just go back to that song. Once again I realized how precious her little Spirit is, and that she must really know that she is a child of God.

As she was finally quieting down, I had an overwhelming lesson come over me. I realized that our Heavenly Father and the Savior are very aware of what is going on in our lives. They know that often....it hurts. It hurts like heck. And often we didn't do anything to bring that situation on ourselves. And we don't know how long it's going to hurt, and we don't know how it's going to get better. But they loves us SO MUCH. They would take away the pain if they could, but we have to experience these things if we're going to grow. But in the eternal perspective of things, that pain is just a blip in time. It will be over soon, and we will have learned from it. So in the meantime...we just have to TRUST HIM. All will be well. We will be better people because of it. At that time I had the impression that I would need to remember this in the future, for my own reasons.

And now here we are. I know that our last trial (with Annaliese being sick and crying for 2 months straight) was very very difficult. I got a little bitter and did NOT do a very good job of trusting then. But it all worked out and the answers came. So I learned a little about trusting then too. I'm going to do a better job trusting this time.

"Things will work out. They always do." That's my favorite quote from President Hinckley.

I don't know how long we'll be in this mess, or how we're going to make ends meet. But things will work out. They always do.

15 comments:

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Trials suck, but it looks like you take everything you can from them and grow. That is the important part. Growing is all apart of this life and I for sure needed this reminder. It is really easy to forget Him and to get content. Thanks for the reminder!

P.S. It was so fun seeing you! Keep me updated on the job situation!

Anonymous said...

What a heartbreaking way to have to be reminded of God's love for us. I love that quote too. It is how I live my life. It was what keeps me sane.

becca olsen said...

Thank you for this post. You are truly an amazing and strong person!

Becky Seymour said...

Thanks for that reminder. I truly needed it tonight. What a woman you are! Seriously

Aunt Shannon said...

Heather, do you have a Preach My Gospel manual? If you do open it to the chapter on Christlike Attributes and go to the Attribute Activity at the end. Read every single statement and do a little spiritual assessment of yourself. Every time I do this I am IMMEDIATELY uplifted. The section on faith is the most inspired thing I've ever read. I've talked to your mom about these before and made her do it too. It kind of works in the way "The Secret" does without all the weird things going on. It is just straight to Christ for the answers and the help. No middle men. We love you and know that you are Samuel will do great things as well as your beautiful girls. We will be fasting for you this weekend.

Kat Clark said...

Ugh. I cried and cried you stinker. You always know how to say it when you are talking about spiritual things. I am sorry this is so hard and I wish there was more I could do. I love you.

ROB AND HOLLY said...

Wouldn't it be great if we could just see to the future and KNOW how things were going to work out?? It sure would make things a lot easier to get through. You guys will make it! It won't be easy, but you'll do it! We'll keep you in our prayers!

Krystal Trapnell said...

What a sweet lesson. Babies are the best teachers. You guys are going to be fine! Hopefully the "stretching process" is a short one! Love you so much!

Marylin said...

This is exactly what you have to remember until it does all work out! I know that the months after Jimmy lost his job were often very stressful and honestly there wasn't much more WE could do so all we had was the ability to have faith and lean on the Lord. Things have worked out, not in the way we thought they would but we are happy and healthy and doing well where He has taken us! Call anytime you want to chat! Miss you

Miranda said...

Heather-You are such an amazing person. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I'm a firm believer in the Primary Songs. They always work for Sami. The can bring the Spirit into the room so fast. Again, thanks for sharing this it really touched my heart.

Julie said...

You are an awesome example of having faith during trials and I wanted to thank you for that. You teach me something almost every time I get on your blog. Things WILL work out. You are in our prayers. I only wish I could do more...

Ann said...

This is why I love you! I always learn something from you! We're keeping you in our prayers. Love you, Ann

Emily Lauren said...

I'm so sorry to hear about everything that has happened Heather. It breaks my heart for you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you for this sweet post. What an example you are, what a beautiful analogy, and what a neat quote.

I hope the "pain" doesn't last too long.

Devksi said...

I like your blog post. What a neat moment for you, I am glad you had that. Heavenly Father is mindful of us. Your family was in our fast yesterday. I kept thinking yesterday that everthing was going to be OK for you guys. That this trial as hard as it was,it was going to be OK. That Heavely Father was watching over you. I may not be explaining myself very well. But, the thoughts and feelings I had yesterday for you was very calming and peaceful. I wish we could help you out someway. The only thing I can do is pray, if you need anything else just call us. You have a place to stay if you decided to come our way:)!

Take care!
Katrina

Anonymous said...

I love you!