Tuesday, December 20, 2011

a GREAT birthday!

Thanks to all of you who wished me a Happy Birthday, and crossed your fingers that I would have a better birthday this year!!! I FOR SURE DID! It started with me sleeping in until 9 (ahhh) and then I headed to Joe's Farm Grill where they gave me a free birthday breakfast, and I got to go with two beautiful friends, Emily and Loa. I had never had breakfast there before, and it was without a doubt the BEST breakfast I've ever had at a restaurant. I had hand-squeezed orange juice (to die for- really- that good) and a belgian waffle with sausage. And it was a beautiful but slightly chilly day, so we were able to eat outside under some heaters. Then I had Loa drop me off at the San Tan mall, where I went to Sephora (free birthday body wash from Philosophy) and Victoria Secret (had a $10 gift card, bought some YUMMY body butter) and Bath and Body Works (picked up a few little things) and then I waited for Samuel to come pick me up. There was a little confusion on when my in-laws were supposed to be there, and he ended up picking me up about an hour later than planned. Fine by me, but it messed up my plans to get to the temple that day, since we didn't have time to do everything I planned. So we rescheduled our temple trip for Monday (turns out the temple is closed all day Monday down here- so Wednesday it is.) Then we headed to Scottsdale, where we picked up 4 gourmet cupcakes (expensive- but SOOOOOO good. I rationalized that this was my birthday cake.) We saved them for later, because first we had to go to my favorite Thai restaurant, the Thai House- and got their (once again, to-die-for) Red Pineapple Curry with chicken. Seriously. It doesn't get much better than that. I don't like pineapple in dinner foods normally, but for this, I am forced to make an exception.

Next we headed to this gourmet ice cream place that I've been dying to try. It's super fresh and natural and they make everything from scratch in their store. It's called Sweet Republic. We bought a pint of almond toffee (homemade toffee in there!! Yummm) and split it as we drove back to Gilbert. Then Samuel dropped me off at a salon where I got a pedicure and Shellac Manicure. I don't normally get manicures, because they just don't hold up to mommy duties, but I have to say, Shellac is the way to GO!! They are totally hard and dry by the time you leave, plus they are gel and don't chip or scratch (at least not so far) and they just look fabulous, if I do say so myself.

Having red nails like this just makes me feel better about myself. I feel more elegant. That's a nice change.


Then we met up with the kids, and they had made me sugar cookies while they were with Grandma. (Yum! Best eating day ever.) We got home and busted out the cupcakes, where they sang to me and helped me blow out my candle.

The red velvet cupcake was the most amazing cupcake I've ever had in my life. (We went to Sprinkles, for those who were wondering, only because it was the closest place to the Thai House.) As I was standing over the kitchen sink, polishing off the last bite of the cupcake, the top (FROSTING) part broke off and fell in to the sink. It landed in a clean(ish) dish that just had some recent water in it. And you kNOW I couldn't let that go to waste. We had just paid $3.50 PER CUPCAKE and I wasn't letting that last frosted bite go to waste. I grabbed that piece of cupcake right out and stuffed it in my mouth. The waterlogged cake part was no longer any good, but the frosting was still FINE! It was worth it. Samuel couldn't believe I did it. But wouldn't you?

It was really a wonderful birthday. My next door neighbor (the one who decorated the house with balloons when I came home from the hospital with Ella) brought over a birthday Teddy Bear and 5 more extra large, beautifully frosted cupcakes that night. It was so sweet. I felt special. I felt loved. That's how you should feel on your birthday.

4 comments:

Ann Mitchell said...

What does "slightly chilly" mean? 60? 65? Well, it's slightly chilly here, too! Doesn't get out of the 20s. We've been in an inversion for days! It's the bone chilling cold that goes right through you!
On a better note...I'm going to Cali next Wed with the American Fork High School Band! They are going to be in the Rose Parade! Although I miss 4 Jazz games, I am going to the only home preseason game tomorrow! No Jazz for last 8 months! WITHDRAWLS! (Jimmer comes to Utah twice...one is last Saturday in January...the other is last Frday of March...temple working day)

Kristen said...

Happy birthday! Glad it was amazing. My birthday is coming up in a few days (on Christmas) and I'm totally and completely dreading it. Turning 29 is sounding so depressing to me. I think I should do like you and just spoil myself all day!

Krystal Trapnell said...

Nice! Sounds great! And of course I have eaten frosting out of the sink. Even if wet, it's still GREAT!

Janey - UtValleyFoodie said...

You did so many fun things for your birthday!! I will keep some of these ideas in mind for my own. Love the fingernails!!