Friday, December 09, 2011

Drab to Fab for $0

So, Samuel works for Paypal, which is owned by Ebay. They are known for being pretty good to their employees, including great benefits, and lots of parties, incentives, and bonuses. This year they had their Holiday Party at a ritzy hotel, and it was a Hollywood/Red Carpet theme. (There was literally a red carpet to walk on when you got to the entrance. It was pretty cool.) There were 1200 people there!! I didn't know until 24 hours prior that I was supposed to dress up in something "Glamorous." Yeah....I don't own anything that fits that description. And I didn't exactly have the time or money to go out and buy something! So this is how I solved that dilemma:

*Called my neighbor, ended up borrowing her black satin dress.

*Pulled an old trick my roomies in college taught me: Wear TWO padded bras (had to fill out the dress. It was too big in the chest.) Instant boob job.

*Browsed Pinterest for a Smoky Eye Tutorial. Found one, and did my best to copy.
*After looking at these pictures, I went back in the bathroom and added more dark shadow for an even smokier effect. This is my "I'm trying to be sultry" face. It makes me giggle, cause it's not working.

*Dug out my hot pink heels. Finally a chance to wear them!

*Realized I didn't have any hot pink accessories, and didn't want too much black.

*So I painted a bracelet with toll paint (the other side is the original color- it's reversible.)

*Then I found one of Kalia's princess Aurora dresses, and cut off the bottom of it in a complete circle-- and I had my hot pink sash.

(I felt a little like Cinderella, trying to fancy up her dress so she could go to the ball. If only I had little mice and birds to help.)

I was pretty happy with how it all turned out, although I kind of wish I had worn my hair up. And looking back, I might have liked the dress better without the sash- the dress was a little more of of an empire waist, and the sash wouldn't sit there, so I wore it around my natural waist. But whatever. It worked. We had fun. Just wish we would have won an Ipad or a big TV.


(P.S. Samuel works on the Spanish team, which explains why he is the only white guy.)





2 comments:

Jonny and Brittany said...

LOVE the instant boob job idea- haha! I am always in need of a good pick me up :)

Krystal Trapnell said...

I think it would take at least 3 push up bras for me, haha! I love the pic of you that's kind of fuzzy, that is awesome! And look at you being all inventive last minute! Nice!