Wednesday, December 22, 2010

ALMOST Two Thirds Done...

Lately I've been feeling a little regretful that I haven't been blogging more- the semi-boring stuff, like little things the girls are doing and saying, and the family activities we've been doing. I have completely stopped writing in any form of a journal, which means this is the only record I've got! My choices are: (hmm....I just took on my Mommy Voice.) #1 Write that stuff somewhere else, along with my deepest thoughts and feelings (Used to do that.) or #2 Blog more, whether or not it bores you.

You probably guessed what I'm choosing. Typing is just SO MUCH FASTER than writing!!! So prepare for some back to back updates...coming soon.

I have been keeping a better record (saving a draft actually) of the details of this pregnancy. I've learned that I forget most of the things I was sure I would remember about being pregnant. And I know I've asked my mom details such as, "How sick were you with your first pregnancy? Your second? Your third?" (all three girls). She just remembers being really sick with the third, and being sure it was a boy. Hmm, that's funny, sounds way too familiar.

So here's some more info about this third pregnancy, for me, and for my girls someday when they are pregnant themselves. (Kalia thinks she's pregnant already, and often puts my hand on her tummy and tells me when the baby has kicked.) Anyway...for the REAL pregnancies in the future. I will warn you, it's long and detailed. And I will never know if you just leave this post right now. Ok, ready? Go.

Samuel and I both felt like it was the right time to start trying, although I had no idea how long it would take me to get pregnant. I've never had an IUD before, but I heard that often you can get pregnant right away. But I'm also the only girl in my family (so far) who has avoided the miscarriage heartbreak, so I have always wondered if or when that would happen.

I had my IUD taken out on a Friday. I knew I was in the ballpark of ovulation time, but I wasn't exactly tracking it, so I didn't know for sure. Right before I got the IUD taken out, we started going through a LOT of trials, and the stress and contention in our home was pretty high. I got a very strong impression that the adversary was very unhappy about the baby that would be coming to our family, for what reason, I'm not sure, but it made me mad that he thought he could stop me from at least trying to conceive, and it made me all the more determined to not give in to the trials/stress/contention. And I guess as a reminder of Who is more powerful, I got pregnant the same weekend I had the IUD taken out.

I started taking pregnancy tests as early as possible...just for fun, and also because I had got them for .50 cents a piece on ebay. After two negatives, I waited another week and got a positive. I was really excited. But then at 5 weeks along I got hit with awful food poisoning. I've never had it before. It was misery at its finest. After I finally thought I was okay, I had a one day break and then it came back again. (FYI- When recovering from food poisoning, don't eat dairy or meat the day after, or your poor stomach freaks out and your symptoms often return. Learned that the hard way so now you don't have to.) I got so dehydrated that I couldn't walk around without getting dizzy, but refused to go to the ER because I wasn't covered by insurance at the time. Got a priesthood blessing and was able to recover, but I had lost 3 lbs (and wasn't complaining about it.)

A few days after the food poisoning, the nausea set in, and I felt sick all day for several weeks. I was overconfident and thought that since I've done this twice before, I would be a pro at managing it this time. I wore my sea-bands on my wrists, ate food every few hours even though nothing ever sounded good, and took Unisom and B6 at night. I ate a lot of Taco Bell during weeks 6-8, because it was one of the only things that I could think about without wanting to gag (strange, I know...now that I'm out of the first trimester, I never even think about going there.)

In my previous pregnancies, I would feel sick all day, throw up once a week or so, and it seemed to be at its worst at week 8 or 9, and then get better, and I'd feel pretty good by week 10. Pretty easy stuff right? So I told myself to just make it to week 8. That week was Samuel and Kalia's birthday party. The summer heat was killing me and making me feel even sicker, but we had a good time anyway. Unfortunately, I was sicker than ever by week 9, and started throwing up everything. After I threw something up once, I didn't want to eat that food again, so I was running out of options of things to eat. And I was dehydrating again, but couldn't keep water down. Sometimes I could keep soda or Gatorade down. Week 10 it got worse and I would lay in bed or on the couch for the entire day and only get up to feed the girls or change a diaper. Or throw up of course. The girls absolutely destroyed the house, but what could I do? Nothing. I threw up so many times I lost count. Sometimes Annie would go to the toiled and grab it and stick her head in and make gagging noises, just for fun, because that's about all she saw me do. I was miserable and swore this was my last pregnancy.

I was able to get great medical coverage (finally! a whole different story!) and I went to the doctor at 10.5 weeks and begged for a prescription. He gave me one because I wasn't gaining weight. He told me my insurance probably wouldn't cover the "good stuff" (Zofran) and so he wrote me a second prescription for a different kind, but had to be taken as a suppository. (UGGGGHHH!!) Sure enough, my insurance only covered the second one, and I had to figure out how to do the whole suppository thing. It wasn't fun. Let's leave it at that. But it helped a lot. The downside- the drug knocked me out and I was in and out of sleep all day. I tried to take it every 3rd day, and I finally stopped throwing up. The house remained a total disaster.

At 14 weeks, the nausea FINALLY vanished. It felt like FOREVER because I was expecting it to end at 8 weeks. I know it sounds really whiny of me to complain when I know some of you (EMMA!) are miserably sick for the whole 40 weeks. So I apologize for the complaining. But it was an awful summer, spent stuck in the basement for most of those awful 6 weeks.

Some other things that were really different for me in the first trimester is that:
1. My hair was falling out a lot- in my other two, I wouldn't lose much hair in the shower.
2. My leg hairs were growing so fast, I couldn't hardly keep up with the shaving. So annoying.
3. My boobs got bigger than they have ever gotten (and are still growing!) I can't lie. This is my favorite part of being pregnant so far. Every day for at least the first 20 weeks I would give them a good squeeze and marvel at how fun it is to have "big jugs." After 2 years of post-nursing deflated little things...these are in my top 3 "perks" of being pregnant. Even though they still are sensitive and sore...I guess from the growth. Gee I hope my brother isn't reading this post.
4. I haven't had a lot of mood swings or anger rage-episodes with this pregnancy.
5. I haven't had any dandruff, like I got with both previous pregnancies.
6. My belly stayed hidden really well until about 17 weeks along. I was expecting it to pop out really soon, but it didn't, probably because I finally started working out in April and got my abs back in shape. Just in time to get out of shape. However, that was no indicator of ANYTHING, as I am now as huge as always. I am measuring right on, but I somehow manage to look much bigger than every other pregnant girl in my ward.

So, especially after considering #1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, we decided that we were for sure having a boy. Samuel started talking about his little boy. I started calling it a he. I was SURE. How could I have THAT many things different from my other two pregnancies? I mean, sickness aside, my body was NOT doing it's normal "pregnant" routine.

I was feeling really anxious about having a boy. About all the clothes and shoes and blankets and "boy" toys that I would have to gather. About having to store all the new boxes of stuff after he grew out of it. About not knowing how to handle a freshly sliced...circumcision. About having a super hyper son-- my girls are already energetic enough. About whether my boys would love me as much as my girls do. Silly stuff, maybe, but part of me hoped for a girl because THAT'S my comfort zone.

I should have remembered that Kalia, back in our old house, use to climb into bed with us in the mornings, and on several different occasions, would point to this spot on the ceiling, and say, "Look, a baby!" At first I thought she was just making this up, but she only did it when she was in our bed-- never anywhere else in the house. After a few times, I started asking if it was a baby boy or a baby girl. And she always said, "Baby Girl." But that was over 9 months ago, and I'd forgotten all about it, until the day our ultrasound tech confirmed...GIRL!

Samuel looked like he was about to cry when he found out. It didn't help that I had basically already got him so excited by telling him I was pretty sure it was a boy. I was so shocked, I went completely speechless, and almost asked for another look. I just really thought I was "in tune" with my body, haha!! But I spent the rest of the day feeling quite...elated. And I told Samuel that I wasn't happy to NOT be having a boy, I just was so happy to have another little girl.

Now, I am 25.5 weeks along today. I have gained almost 20 lbs already, despite my earlier "success" with not gaining weight. And I'm trying not to be depressed about that, but just be grateful that my body seems to carry babies without much of a problem. I am having braxton hicks contractions several times a day (as I did with Annie) and I'm not worried about them, but they are worse when I pick up my kids or go up stairs...so despite my best intentions to work out and keep my weight gain down, I probably won't work out. The contractions are just too annoying-- the constant tightening of your gut that makes it a little hard to breathe sometimes.

I was really hoping to not gain as much weight with this pregnancy, and though I started out good, I don't know how it will turn out. I have been eating a LOT of Christmas treats and ice cream at night. At least this time I have recognized that I'm NOT "eating for two" It's more like I'm eating for like, 1.25, and so therefore I DON'T need 3000 calories a day. 2500 will be fine. (just kidding. I'm not counting, but I'm just trying not to be such a piggy.) But, having said that, I must add that I LOVE being in the second (now third) trimester during Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It makes it so much more fun to indulge in all the treats. I also love the cold weather, especially at night. We leave our window open a crack at night. Samuel freezes, but I am just right. Pregnant in the winter is the way to go! Let's hope I can be a bit better in my last few months...starting in January. :)

I am now officially in the THIRD TRIMESTER. Wow...that blissful second trimester went by way too fast. As a reminder though, I have started to have some pregnancy discomforts, mainly a burning pain at the very top of my ribs, right at the bottom of my sternum. It really acts up when I lay on my side...which is the only way I can lay these days, so it's a constant pain, and the worst in the mornings when I wake up. It feels like her little foot is wedged up there, but I know it's not...cause she's laying sideways. So I don't know why the rib is killing me, but I have had it with my other pregnancies, so I guess I'm not surprised. I am hitting that stage where it's hard to bend over and hard to be comfortable-- and still have 3.5 more months to endure so...we may be bringing out the Tylenol PM here soon.

Still no name for the little lady...Samuel wants it to be meaningful. I want it to sound good with the other 2 names. We liked Hannah, cause it's meaningful (the mother of the Prophet Samuel in the bible) but then it didn't work with "Annie and Hannah"...you know I would end up calling her Hannie all the time. So that's out. We'll keep thinking.

Only 1/3 left. It's flying by. I am hoping for an April Fool's baby! I'm not going to be induced this time, so we're hoping for another VBAC, this time WITHOUT PITOCIN. Don't get me started on all the evils of Pitocin.

25 weeks
Thanks to Jaesi for sending the skirt!!!


10 comments:

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Loved the update! The very beginning of my two pregnancies were TOTALLY different. But, after the first 10 weeks were basically the same. Weird how our bodies just react different!

So excited to see another gorgeous little Bigler girl!

Keep the updates coming!

Jamey said...

man, I wish that I had all of those thoughts and feelings written down about my pregnancies. You are good to write them down. Your girls will love reading them one day!

You are only a few weeks behind me - so good luck to us these next few months!!! :)

Krystal Trapnell said...

I LOVE going through this with you. It's fun to have someone else know exactly what you mean when you say you can't bend over all of a sudden or that you can't seem to stop eating the Christmas treats. I'm right there with you. But I'm still just so not sure what we're having. And it's coming so soon! AHHH!

Brandi Schall said...

Man, how do you not have stretch marks?! Lucky! I loved reading all your pregnancy memories--a good reminder for me to hurry and write down some more things about Peter's pregnancy before I forget. Who knows, it may be my last!

jaesi said...

I too love to read about everyones pregnancies....something we can ALL relate too.

Youre a babe! Betcha never heard that before....;)

Tara and David said...

SO funny that our pregnancies have been so much the same and that I would have bet my life that this little boy was a girl because this pregnancy was identical to my little girls and total opposite of my boys. And I hear you about the weight gain and those darn calories from Christmas treats. Throw them in the trash....easier said than done right!!

Ann Mitchell said...

1. Too bad you and Krystal don't live closer to each other.

2. hahaha Taco Bell! I have a TON of free taco cards from there...every time the Jazz get 6 blocks...it's FREE TACOS for everyone! I always get a handful of cards, instead of one...ushers are my friends.

3. As a teacher, an Apri Fool's Day birthday is not a pleasant experience for the child!

4. fa la la la la . . . la la la la!

Abby said...

i loved reading about your pregnancy. glad you are feeling better... those first couple months are brutal! you look great!

Lara said...

Heather if you are in need of maternity clothes, you are welcome to look through my stuff. I have a TON of stuff. It's always fun to boost your waredrobe.

Emma said...

I loved this and read every bit of it. There is so much of this post that I feel like I could have written the exact same way, I feel for ya!
But here is a secret, since about 18 weeks I haven't been AS sick! Apparently a boy isn't as bad as my girls were.. yet!

Good luck! I hope your jugs keep a growing & stay that way, you totally deserve it!! ;)