Saturday, August 16, 2008

Wicked Story

So, how many Wicked fans are out there?? It's only my favorite musical of all time. My little brother Eric, who is now 20 and on a mission, introduced me to it four years ago. He played the CD for me in the car on our way home from Thanksgiving in Vegas, and I fell in love. Then I got obsessed. Then I decided I had to see it in New York, before Idina Menzel (who played Elphaba) left the show. I was in college, single, and able to talk my little brother into a very spontaneous trip to New York three weeks later.
I found a reasonable price online for tickets to Wicked at Gershwin Theater, I ordered them, and had them shipped to the hotel where we'd be staying. Then we flew to New York city, (our first time in that crazy city! Loved it!) and arrived around 7 a.m. It was December 16th, freezing, and my brother was wearing shorts and flip flops. He got some good heckling from some construction workers. We just laughed. The tickets hadn't arrived by the 16th, or the 17th. (We were supposed to go on the 18th). I called the company and found out they'd cancelled the order for unknown reasons, and we HAD NO TICKETS. I was devastated. The only reason we'd gone to New York was to see that show. Don't get me wrong, we were having a good time, seeing the big tree at Rockefeller center, shopping (Eric was so patient....he'd hold my piles of clothes as I tried them on. Big Big piles of clothes.) and feeling the excitement of Christmas shopping in a big city...that was all fun...

but NO TICKETS TO WICKED??? We even tried waiting in line for hours to get "free tickets" (they do a drawing) but NO LUCK. I just didn't want to let Eric down. If I could just get ONE ticket for him, that would be almost as good.

We rushed to an internet cafe, hanging onto a thread of hope that we could find something. I got on ebay. And this is just another testimony to me that we have a VERY loving Heavenly Father who really does care about those little not-so-important things in our lives. There were two tickets for sale for the show, on the 18th, for $125 each (which was a great deal) and we bought them immediately. Thank goodness it wasn't a scam, the kid met us at the show and gave us our tickets, and we saw that wonderful, amazing, goosebump producing production.
(I videotaped most of the songs, secretly, so that my family could know what it was like...I doubted they'd ever get the chance to see it.) That video is a treasure to me now. Illegal or not. Megan Hilty played Glinda (she was so funny) and Idina Menzel played Elphaba.

It was a wonderful, fabulous time.
I found out that Wicked is coming to Capitol Theater in Salt Lake City next year, only for about 5 weeks. I missed the ticket sales though, and now they're only for sale by ticket brokers who are charging an arm and a leg. I'm bummed, but still determined to find a deal-- luckily I have about 9 months to do it. I can't wait to see it again. And I think I need to go back to New York too. That city is amazing.

17 comments:

~Kreitzers said...

I have tickets to the Capitol Theater and I am SUPER excited!!! I've never seen it but I LOVE the CD and can sing every word. I will go to NYC next time you go and see it there too :)

Kat Clark said...

What a story! So you've read the book right? I know that is an obvious and rediculous question, but I had to ask. I have never seen it and I want to sooo bad. Michael and I were in New York for less than 48 hours for his interview at NYU and all I wanted to do was see Wicked. It never happened but someday...someday...

Heather B said...

Actually, I haven't read the book! I heard it was dark, a little disturbing, and very different from the show, so I wasn't sure I wanted to taint my idea of it...what do you think?

Kevin and Emily said...

I just saw Wicked for the first time about a week ago in Hollywood and LOVED it! We can't wait to go again over Christmas. It IS amazing. I loved your story. (=

Morgan said...

What a FUN trip! I wish my siblings were down for a spontaneous trip to the Big Apple!!! And to see Wicked?? That's awesome!

Meili said...

Don't read the book. That's my opinion. It weirded me out, and honestly, it was hard to stay interested because the plot is a lot more complicated than the musical. There's a lot of boring political stuff.

Anyway, I love, love, LOVE the musical and I'm so jealous that you got to see Idina! I also was able to see it in New York. Ahhhh, it was the best. And I'm so sad that I missed ticket sales for Capitol Theatre too! I vow to find tickets, even if I have to use my future kids' college funds to pay for them.

The soundtrack is in my car right now.

Greg and Tammy said...

WOW. I think I just felt the Spirit. :) That story is amazing! Glad you got to go to the show. Greg and I are are little Wicket fanatical. We have seen in three times (LA, Chicago, Phx) and have just purchased tickets to see it in July of 2009 on the 12th row when it comes BACK to Phoenix. I think we have an illness, but we really love it. So anyway, thanks for the post. I need to go listen to the soundtrack.

Greg and Tammy said...

BTW, Greg did not like the book much and told me not to read it.

Heather B said...

Hmm, maybe I can get tickets in Phoenix if I can't find them in SLC. Lucky you, everyone who already has them! I don't think I'd ever get tired of seeing it.

I think I will pass on the book.

Julie said...

My husband actually went and saw Wicked without me!!! I thought he was so rude! Sammy was only a week old and his whole family went and saw it in California (where we didn't know anyone so we had no babysitter). Someday though...

Christense Clan said...

Heather, I just found some tickets at ticketliquidator.com. They were around 200 dollars a piece but they are on the 11th row! :) I haven't seen it but my family went to New York when I was pregnant with Aydan and saw it. They loved it. I am SO excited!

Christense Clan said...

Oh and they are for Salt Lake. :)

The Isoms said...

What a story! Glad you were able to see it. My older sis lives up north and was able to get two tickets for my husband and I. I love hearing all the great stories about how good it is!

Mik'L said...

I LOVE Wicked! I also saw it in NYC with Idina Menzel and she is AMAZING! We actually saw Kristin Chenoweth at Carnegie Hall the next night, so it was awesome. I saw it again in Boston too. I didn't know the tickets were already sold out for SLC! I was totally planning to go! Bummer. I will have to find a way to get some. I LOVE that you recorded it! ha! I have a few live cd recordings of the whole show and love to listen to them, especially with all the crowd laughs!

Wendi and Eric said...

We are total Wicked fans. Eric included. We have read the book, and it is a little dark. And of course, we know all the words to the songs. But we have yet to be in the right place and time to catch the play. Our other family members have seen it least 4 times now. We are so envious.

Natalie said...

My sister saw Wicked in CA and she doesn't stop talking about it. I'd love to know when they will be coming to SLC - let me know if you find a good deal for tickets and I will be looking as well.

Ann Mitchell said...

I saw Wicked in NYC in April 2006. There were 13 of us and we each paid only $100 for row 5 on the left!!! Fabulous!!! The tickets in SLC were pretty much sold out before they're available to the public. Any season ticket holder can give their # to friends and family for as many as they want.