Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chemo Treatment #1

Myspace Comments - Pink Ribbon

I am in St. George this week. My mom had her first treatment on Friday. I feel really blessed to be able to live so close and to be here to help take care of her. She is doing okay. The first treatment is supposed to be the "easiest" and it was still rough. She is having all the side effects of nausea, headaches, body aches, breathing difficulties, and other random things. She is starting to feel better every day.

It is so incredibly hard to see someone you love suffer. I think I will just have to pray for the ability to handle it, because it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

She will have treatments every other Friday for 16 weeks. It's a very heavy and agressive treatment, but it's shown good outcomes in the past, and the doctor said he thinks she can handle it.

I will probably be here every other week. Even if it's just to clean the house and drive her to appointments, it's the least I can do.

Anyway, thanks again for all your love, prayers and support. We are starting a blog for her, and mostly for people who want to be updated on how she's doing (the phone calls and visits are just pouring in. It's amazing, but hard to stay on top of, so we hope the blog helps.)
Here's the address if you ever feel like stopping in and leaving a word of encouragement.
http://karenkancerkiller.blogspot.com/

You guys are the best. Thanks for being so great.

14 comments:

Greg and Tammy said...

How wonderful that you can be so close to be there for her and the rest of your family. Thanks for the updates. Much love to her from Greg and I.

Aaron and Brandy said...

We all know that your mom is a fighter!! It is such a blessing that you can be here to help out.
I heard Daxton slapped Kalia on the head at church- sorry about that, he can kind of be a bully....

Todd & Rakel Gardner said...

I am so glad that you can come and be here with your dear mom while she is going through this. Hopefully you can really help her to feel better on your visits even if you are just there. I know she probably loves having you here. Let us know if we can help out in anyway. Lot of Love.

Jess said...

Heather- you are a wonderful daughter!! We are praying for your mom, and I'm so grateful that you have started a blog so that we can follow her through this journey.

Nadine said...

couldn't have been better timing for that move, huh? your mom is lucky to have such helpful daughters.

The Isoms said...

It is so great that you are close by and able to be by your moms side at this time! My prayers are with you guys!

Lisha said...

You are sweet to go and help her. We will be thinking about her and your family! And praying for you too!

Ann said...

I read your mom's blog and I got teary! You sound so informed Heather. Way to go...down to the PET scan, side effects, etc. You're asking the right questions! Remember, although your mom will be a little weaker with each treatment, she'll also kinda know how to manage the symptoms a little better. Sometimes it's easier for my patients on consecutive chemos because they know what to expect. Tell her to use those pain meds if she needs them. Also, try to stay on top of the nausea. Don't wait to take the pills once she's already throwing up. A sort of schedule for them might be good. She'll definitely need rest and tell her that's OK! Anyway, isn't it amazing how humble cancer makes us! not that we wanted to learn it that way, but man, you can't do anything else but trust the Lord in it all. Give your mom my best!

Abby said...

We love you guys! Thinking about all of you!

Bundy Family said...

Heather that is so great that you can come to St George to help your mom. Please let me know if there is anything I can help you with. If you need a break from Kalia the girls would love to have her come over and play. This will be hard on you too, and you'll need a break as well.

Devksi said...

That is so neat that you are so close to your family! What great timing Heather so move from beautiful Hawaii to closer to your family. Heavenly Father is very aware of us isn't he? Take Care Bigs Family

Natalie said...

I know you are helping your mom this weekend, but I am coming up tomorrow through Sunday and it would be fun to go to lunch or something. Give me a call -
928-451-4752.

Karen E said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emma said...

thanks for keeping us posted, good luck to all that is ahead of you and your family!