Monday, February 04, 2008

Random Thoughts

1. When I was in Utah, I made some hamburger soup for the family. I was soaking up the grease from the hamburger like this:By putting paper towels in the meat of course! A friend of my mom asked me what I was doing. When I explained, she told me she'd never heard of that before. I was kind of shocked. Where did I learn it? I asked my mom if she did it that way. She said yes! Isn't it funny what we pick up from our parents without even realizing it? (On another note, how else do you get the grease out?)


2. I didn't mean to sell our hide-a-bed couch AND our bed in the same night, so soon. Craigslist really works fast sometimes. We are now sleeping on an air mattress for the rest of our time in Hawaii (which, FYI, is probably one month.) And it's no fun to watch TV from a lawn chair. Dang.


3. I had a seriously killer sinus infection for a week. I thought my head would explode from the pressure. Even worse though, I couldn't smell or taste a thing for a week. Oddly enough, I still craved junk food. I still ate pizza, ice cream and brownies, and just tried to enjoy the texture. Why didn't I live on celery? I don't know. I can say this, the best part of getting my senses back was eating cheddar cheese, and smelling my baby's skin. Ahhh, it doesn't get much better than that.

17 comments:

Lisha said...

So have you decided on moving to AZ? What are your plans? So sorry about selling your furniture, that's a bummer, but good that you don't have to worry about it now.

~Kreitzers said...

I loved the random rambling, it was fun....I miss that!

Jamey said...

The good old paper towell trick...I do the same thing! Is there really another way?

I think even if you couldn't taste or smell pizza, ice cream, or brownies, I think your body knows how good it is, and that is what counts! It is too good to pass up even if you don't taste it!

Brandi Schall said...

Heath, I put on a lid partway (so the meat doesn't fall out) and pour it into the sink or a grease-can. I thought that was what you do. I've never heard of the paper towel trick, I'll have to try it!

*I also try to buy the leanest meat possible to avoid any draining all together!

You must dish about the moving situation!

Emma said...

Tv from a lawn chair... your in Hawaii. Either way I say you got something good going for ya!!

Yes the paper towel trick works well. I usually drain it in a drainer and rinse it with water, but you have to be careful because you don't want that going down your dains!! But we butcher our own cows so we get our meat cut really lean so I really don't worry about it much. :)

Heather B said...

Ahh, thus "drain" the meat, I've seen that in recipes. That makes sense. so they actually have little kitchen tools to help, how nice!

Emma, I wish we could all butcher our own meat. Fresh...and you can control the fat content. Nice.

A Blog on our moving plans, coming up! Here's a hint, we are probably NOT going to Phoenix.

jaesi said...

We have always used paper towels.
interesting. But if you cook it long enough the drippings burn away...which is what I do most of the time cause Im lazy.
That same thing happened to me with Craigslist this week, I was bored so I posted my dining table and hutch and it sold like that...Paul wasnt very happy. Its tax return season and people feel rich...
I cant wait to hear where you are going!!!!

Julie said...

Ug...sleeping on an air matress for a month! You guys definitely deserve some brownie points for that!!!

Live everyday to its fullest said...

Ok so I was laughing so hard when I was reading about the paper towl trick...my mom used to do it and it made me sick looking at all the fat so...I switched to ground turkey...NO FAT to soak up...and I think it tastes the same...I use it the same as I would ground beef in soups, tacos, enchiladas etc. Try it! Also sucky on the bed and couch! Hope your backs dont get too sore we did that for a month when we first got there and I thought I was gonna kill myself! Good luck...keep us posted on the move!!!!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

I also put the lid on part way and drain the grease like Brandi and others. That is awesome that everything so quick! Air mattresses aren't bad. It could be worse!

Crystal said...

I've never heard of the paper towel trick either. I do the lid trick or use a colander.

I kind of hate air mattresses. Sorry you have to sleep on one for a month! Can't wait to hear about your plans.

kristen said...

i use one of those turkey basters--(it looks like a little baby nose sucker thing, but really big) and put the grease into a empty soda can or something, then i use a paper towel to get the rest.
i'm anxious to know where you guys are moving to, tell us soon!

Krystal Trapnell said...

I pour all the grease in a can and drink it ("you were going to drink the fat"). Ha! Just kidding. We have the same mom. I do the paper towel trick, too, only I use napkins because they are less expensive. I also opt for the 93% lean ground beef (which is even better than the ground turkey, which I use occasionally, too).

Well, I'm dying to find out where you are moving. Maybe I'll pick up the phone and call you. Or draw out the suspense and wait like everyone else...

Nadine said...

i use ground turkey too. i've never had any left over grease cause it's 99% lean meat or maybe 1% lean meat. i don't know, but there's no grease.

brit said...

I just don't cook....solves the whole issue. j/k.....I actually LOVE to cook, but I rarely cook meat on the stove. Almost always on the grill and I don't remember the last time I did ground anything. Wait, I do lettuce wraps and use ground turkey. I guess Im with the ground turkey people, not that you were surveying or anything. Talk about rambling.....

Miranda said...

So does this mean you are moving???

Jessica said...

We spoon the grease out. Although patting it would probably get more out. That is probably why I look like I do and you look so much better.