Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Blurb Delivers

My blog books arrived today! Six years of my life, now fully documented. It took up so much time, I am so glad to have this done and out of the way. It was a new years resolution (check!) and probably the only one I ended up keeping. I didn't do anything fancy, in fact I kept it as simple as possible, and put as many pictures in as possible (not just ones from my blog- I went through all our pictures to make sure everything I wanted was in there.) And thanks to a tip from my sister, I made the pictures as big as possible too. I love how the books turned out. The colors are great, and even though I didn't upgrade to premium paper, I was really happy with the thickness of the pages. Here's a peek inside my two (280 page) books.
.

Front covers. I wanted pure pictures on both the front and back.

Here are the backs:
And a few more pages inside:


What a treasure! Now when I'm asked "what would you rescue if your house was on fire?" or something like that, I have a better answer.

On a random side note, I love this picture. Annie is about 80% of the way potty trained. Just taking it slow and at her pace. If she didn't want to be potty trained, I didn't want to force her right before a new sibling arrives. She will probably still regress, but oh well. Lately she's been really gung-ho about wearing panties. And putting them on herself, of course. A private blog is about the only place to share this little gem.

18 comments:

Michelle said...

Kind of like wearing a thong but different! Too funny. I wish I lived closer to check out your blog books because I've got one in progress (almost ready for printing) and another two that need to be done.

HeatherB said...

Oh my gosh Heather, that is hilarious! And the books look gorgeous! That is on my list of things to do once graduation and our move is all over. Well done.

Jess said...

They turned out gorgeous! So glad you got them done!

-Adorable pic too!

Krystal Trapnell said...

Your books look great! I know I would rescue mine on the way out of the house in case of a fire.

And that picture is awesome. I have a similar one of Allie. I will email it to you for funsies. Yay for almost potty trained! Maybe she will keep it up after baby girl, especially if you're home a lot.

jaesi said...

so dang awesome!
how much did those huge books cost?

Love that little undie bum.

Mrs. J said...

Can I ask how much it cost and thru which company you did it? Makes me want to do one.

Kat Clark said...

That picture is absolutely priceless!!! Definitely should go into the next blog book. ;)

I love the books. I just made a photo book over at mixbook and I can't wait for it to come. Those look beautiful and I know they took so much time. Great job! I love that comment about the house fire. So true and so perfect. xoxo!

Heather B said...

The books cost $75 each plus $5.99 shipping--I had a Groupon coupon- I paid $20 for $60 towards the book, so it ended up being $120 total for both. But otherwise it would have been $160. They charge more for bigger books with more pages, so some of their other options are pretty great.

I used BLURB.com- you can check out their pricing on their website.

Jamey said...

did you choose the "make my book for me", or the "drag and drop method"? I am trying to get going on mine...but if I try the drag and drop - it seems like it will take FOREVER!!! If I choose the make it for me, I need to edit every page to get the right pictures on the right pages.

I want to fit as much on each page as possible (so it is cheaper) so I wonder what option is better? Yours look GREAT!

Jamey said...

and one more quick question...what text size did you use? It is defalted at 8, but I didn't know if that would be too small.

Heather B said...

Jamey, I will email you, but in case you come back here...I used the 8 font throughout most of the book, and I can read it just fine. I also used "create for me" and then changed pictures and layouts from there.I THINK it's faster that way, although all the pictures were small and had to be changed anyway.

Emily Blais said...

way to go! I am ALMOST finished with my 2010 book. All 402 pages of it. Shoot. Me. Now.

Jamie W said...

Yay for Blurb! I just got my 2010 book back, although I haven't done 2009 yet.
That picture is hilarious!

becca olsen said...

WOw, that book is going to be so worth it.. good job at being so diligent recording! Love that picture too.. so cute!!

Abby said...

looks awesome heather! i love seeing other peoples books!

Emma said...

I LOVE that last picture, save that one for posterities sake for sure!

My new years resolution for the last THREE years was to do this, I've got to do it, you've inspired me!

Ann Mitchell said...

WOW! Now I want to make books for each school year I've had a blog!

Jonny and Brittany said...

Heather those look amazing! I just started mine and am feeling totally overwhelmed by it- we will see how long this one takes me!!!lol!