Friday, October 08, 2010

October at Last!

I never really get to see this little one sleeping, since she's still in a pitch-black closet, so I didn't know that she sleeps like this. Those are her precious pink blankets...she can't sleep without them. Apparently unless they are completely surrounding her. (That's Annie)

Well, I've been really stressed out. Life has been really up in the air again. It's wearing me down and sadly, my attitude hasn't been that great. And I've kept most of it all to myself instead of venting it all out on this blog. So if you've noticed my absence or think I've been acting weird...well...I've just had a lot on my plate...emotionally. Just forgive me if I go on and on. Well, there's no "if" here. Of course I am about to do that. :)

Part of it is that our "Plan for the Future" has had to change AGAIN. I am really craving some stability in my life. Don't know when it's gonna come. You may remember that Samuel got a job working 45 minutes away at an Ultrasound school. He was doing financial aid (which he definitely does not enjoy) but he was excited to be able to actually ATTEND the ultrasound school, in fact he wanted to start this month, October, working during the day and then going to school at night, which originally he was promised he could do.

Then, soon after he started that job, we found out that if we wanted our whole family to have health insurance, it was going to cost $1200 a month. Yes you read that right. I was SO ticked. It wasn't even something we had to discuss. There was NO way we would be paying that for health insurance. So we've been without health insurance for awhile and it's really been bothering me, especially after seeing what kind of medical bills can add up after a random accident, say in the bath tub with a drinking glass. (I think her bills totaled over $80,000, which because Samuel was unemployed and we were on medicaid, we didn't have to pay anything...can you believe what a huge blessing? I will never get over that.) And in case you've been wondering how she's doing after that accident, the answer is still, miraculously, that she is completely and 100% fine. She still has this lovely scarring that sometimes peeks out of her swimsuit, but she has no side effects at all. I will never, NEVER get over that miracle. (Hopefully you can tell that this is her lying on her back with the pic cropped down to her right little bum-cheek.)
Okay, so back to Samuel's job. Long story short, the school backed out of their promise that he could go to school, saying he had to choose- school or job. I was already freaking out about the
health benefits, and I was wishing that we didn't live so far away from his job. He would be gone from 8 a.m. until about 9 p.m. and that's without going to school.

He ended up getting a new job. He took a paycut, which means we won't be leaving this basement anytime soon, but the health benefits are WONDERFUL. He just started training last Monday. He now works 20 minutes away instead of 45. We feel really blessed, and hopeful that he will either love his job, and move up quickly (i.e. make more money) or that it will give him a great schedule that will allow him to go to school. He applied for a nursing program as well. It's kind of a long shot to get in, but we're still praying for divine intervention anyway, if that's what's meant to be. By the way, he is working for Paypal, owned by Ebay, who just opened a big new office in this area. They are going to be hiring and expanding more in the next year or two, and since he got hired with the first group, I really hope he can move up faster than normal.

Also, it's been harder than I thought (psychologically) to live in someone's basement. I don't love my ward. I really don't feel like I belong here. 90% of the ward is made up of young families. Most of the women here are close to my age, but much further along in life, as in, they married young, and now have several kids, some even 9 or 10 years old, and they have husbands with well-paying jobs and huge houses that are decorated like Martha Stewart herself was hired. (I'm not kidding. I've been in 4 houses so far and they were all like that. Somehow this bothers me. I don't want to get into the "I can decorate my house better than your house" game. I don't want to feel like I have to measure myself against them. That's a game we'll never win, but we do it anyway (especially in the LDS church) and I don't like to feel bad about myself because of that.) Anyway, there's no "poor area" of our ward...there are no "small houses." And to be honest, it's really intimidating me. don't get me wrong, everyone is so nice, and I'm really trying to love it, but my heart is just not in it. This is not "my house" so it also doesn't really feel like "my ward." I'm not trying to make friends, because somehow I don't think they're really going to relate to me. I'm sure they can, but something about this ward just has been hard for me and I've stayed holed up in the basement...did I mention that for several weeks it was just too hot to go out? Even to swim? It was 108 last week. This week it's cooled off...which has lifted my spirits. I don't think I can take another week of the heat.

General Conference also lifted my spirits, especially Pres. Monson's talk on Gratitude. Guess I really needed to hear it. I haven't been feeling very grateful lately. So I'm trying to be better about that. I'm also trying to keep the basement cleaner. Apparently the older lady who lives upstairs and comes home every other weekend, well, she didn't like my housekeeping skills. (Remember, she has never had kids or grandkids. That didn't help.) But she really got after me, and for awhile we weren't sure we were going to be able to work it out, but we have. Samuel and I are REALLY trying to fix our CLUTTER issues. We're doing much better, but again, it's just all been really stressful lately.

Annie is almost two, and she is ACTING it for sure. Way more tantrums and screaming and defiant behavior than I ever saw from Kalia. It surprises me because she speaks in full sentences, so I didn't think she'd need to resort to screeching about everything. But she does. She sits on time out every day. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the two-year old version of myself. Payback I suppose? I think it's going to be a long few years with this one though.

Finally, we are struggling with Kalia and her sleeping issues. I wake up every morning and find her in bed with me. That doesn't bother me as much, because it doesn't wake me up at night. I don't LOVE it, and it's not going to fly in the future when we have other kids who will want to crawl in, but what's been bothering me lately is that she is SO tired by 4 or 5 p.m. (no naps anymore of course) but it takes her FOREVER to wind down for bed. Then after she falls asleep, she will wake up every 2 hours and come out to the living room. She just will not stay asleep. And so she's not getting enough good, solid sleep, in my opinion. Thanks to some great suggestions on facebook (thank you friends!) we have made sure she doesn't watch TV after 1 or 2 p.m., I try to make sure she gets more exercise, and I occasionally slip her a small dose of Melatonin. Don't judge on the melatonin because it is helping a LOT and thank you to the friend who was brave enough to share this solution with me.

Okay, a long venting session to clue you in. I won't lie. I've been struggling, but it does feel nice to get it out there. I always feel better when I tell people my problems. I so appreciate the supportive comments and ideas of what to do to make life a little easier. So thanks for reading/listening. :)

And just two little pictures of my three favorite people. Love them. :) Glad they'll put up with me and all my imperfections.

16 comments:

Julie said...

Hang in there Heather! This too shall pass. You are a great mom and a great wife and you are doing a wonderful job!

jaesi said...

Miss Heather these are my favorite posts. Thank you for being honest and up front and not all martha stewart.
:) because its hard not to fall into that mode...right?

I was in your spot last year. Emotionally. It was the crappiest year ever and strained my marriage to the 5th degree. But things got better- because i realized the only thing I could change was me.
(not that you need to change you)

lots of love coming by way of NE.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Everything always looks great from the outside. But I am sure a lot of those families in your ward are struggling, and just don't show it.

I definitely can't get caught up in the decorating game, because that is a game I will never win. My walls are still bare and my kids beg every day to put out our 3 or 4 Halloween decorations, but I just can't. It feels too pathetic.

Keep hanging on! You won't be in a basement forever.

Sita, Shalie, Kalia, and Vili said...

Heather your situation is almost exactly like ours a year ago. We lived in a basement apartment of a really "well off" neighborhood. I felt the exact same way you are feeling. My husband actually got a job with eBay in SLC at the time and things have just gotten better from there. The benefits were awesome and he has been able to move up very quickly. I hope paypal will be the same for you. eBay has been a great company to work for. We were even able to get in to our first home. I really hope the same happens for you. Thank you for your "real" posts. It helps us all feel like we are not alone.

becca olsen said...

Heather! I miss you guys so much! I really appreciate your honest post and think of you often. Have you seen the mormon message "good things to come", i was having a really hard time wondering what "Life" would bring us after mike was done school and this helped! I love ya and hang in there! You have always been a great example to me!

Nessa said...

One foot in front of the other and one day at a time! Seriously, some days I take life one Minute at a time. I just want you to know that I am VERY thankful for this post because we ALL have these feelings and thoughts, but keep it in an don't share our feelings and ask for help/advice! Hang in there!

Emma said...

Oh Heather, I love your honesty!
I think you're a great mom & to the old lady up stairs, forget about her.. you do your best & that is all the Lord asks of you & he'll take care of the rest!
And we use Melatonin on the girls when they have a hard time sleeping, no judgement here, I love that stuff!

We lived in a ward similar to none the less & I hated it. I look back with regrets that I didn't try harder to make friends there, but I have been in your spot & it's hard with all the "perfect martha's" to compete with.

Love you girl, things will work out just like they should!!

Kat Clark said...

Heather I love you. I have written and re-written about a million things in this post but none of them feel right. I feel sad that you are still lingering in a limbo. Not just a limbo of housing and job and finances but almost a limbo of emotion. I can't even begin to fathom what you are feeling but I do know that happiness is the best "ness" there is. I promise to pray for you so that you can find the happiness you deserve. Call me whenever. Seriously, you know you can.

xoxo
Kat

Kat Clark said...

Heather I love you. I have written and re-written about a million things in this post but none of them feel right. I feel sad that you are still lingering in a limbo. Not just a limbo of housing and job and finances but almost a limbo of emotion. I can't even begin to fathom what you are feeling but I do know that happiness is the best "ness" there is. I promise to pray for you so that you can find the happiness you deserve. Call me whenever. Seriously, you know you can.

xoxo
Kat

Mandy said...

I'm so sorry you are struggling right now. I will admitt that I am glad you can be so honest. It just reminds me that I am not alone with my feelings and imperfections.

Mary Jane said...

Heather, that is a difficult situation. I know how it feels to feel out of place when it comes to the income thing. I hate to admit it, but it really is hard. I remember when I was 6 months prego with no money and Bryan got deployed to Iraq- and a few days after he left my friend called to tall me that they just got back from a lavish vacation from Hawaii- then my brother and his wife had a baby and they were just so in love and they were making fat stacks of cash and moved in to a brand new beautiful brick home. And their baby was just beautiful and they were just loving bonding together with the baby...blah, blah, blah, I just wanted to die. And here i was, alone, struggling through school, pregnant, lonely, and It was REALLY hard when people asked- so Mary Jane how are you? I always lied and said, doing great. But IT WAS HARD and that 2 year year period of difficulty was honestly just a HUGE learning experience. I hated most parts of it, but now things have evened out a bit, I can look back with gratitude becuase you just learn so much- even if it is REAL empathy for people. Plus, you are an amazing mother, wife, and friend, I wish we lived by each other because I think the WORLD of you HEATHER! Keep praying and get out there, sometimes good friends can get you through anything:)

Lindsay said...

I feel like I can relate to you on this post in a lot of ways...I understand the living in someone else's basement thing and how hard it can be at times. We did it for 3 years (in two different basements) and I never really felt connected to the ward, the neighborhood, or the area. Probably half of it was my fault because I knew it wasn't permanent, but its hard to get comfortable somewhere when its not your own home and when you know it won't be long term. When we moved into my grandma's we thought it would be six months at the most, turned into a year and a half because of Cory's layoff. So I can understand your discouragement with not knowing how long you'll be there. You guys are such good people you will be blessed and things will work out. It's hard to see it when you're in the thick of it sometimes though for sure.
Kids and sleep issues...my never ending dilemia! Good luck with Kalia, it's so hard. If it isn't one thing with kids it's always another, right?
As for people with the perfect houses/decorating, our neighborhood is newer and seems to have lots of people with lots of money. We were lucky to get in here because the economy and building prices were down. I have decorated with hand me down furniture and buys off ksl.com, but these people around here have all this designer stuff, brand new furniture, drive brand new Tahoe's and Land Rover's and i'm in my trusty 10 year old suburu! It seems like there's always that comparing game...and I agree...even more so in our culture.

Anyway, you are a good mom and good person and i love how honest you are. Keep the positive attitude! Things will work out.

Greg and Tammy said...

I know it's crazy to think, but someday you'll look back on these days with fondness. When my Dad was right out of law school, they lived in a tiny apartment with 4 kids in a ghetto party of San Diego. My Mom thought it was difficult then, but now says those are some of her favorite memories. Small children, small home, trying to live as simply as possible. Kind of like Elder Uchtdorf's talk - keeping an eye on the most important things in life.

Abby said...

heather I love these posts. i love that you are so honest. so sorry you are stuggling! for 7 years we have been in limbo with the housing department... one place after another blah blah blah... I think we have moved 6 times in 7 years. it was hard for me seeing all my friends and people my age and younger getting into these nice homes and all that and I was stuck in cruddy apartments.... not fun... but i miss all of those apartments we've lived in. its hard to see it when you are in the midst of it all though..

good things are to come my friend!! you are a great mom and have 2 adorable kids! Just know you are very much loved!!! thanks for sharing these kinds of things... you're great!!!!

Jonny and Brittany said...

Heather you are amazing! You are a good mom and good wife and an all around good person! I can definitely relate on the "living in someone else s space" thing. We have been living in someones loft for the past month and have never really felt like we were home. If you ever need to vent- call me!!!!:) It's easy to get caught up in not feeling good enough when we start to compare ourselves to others. Just remember that they (they meaning the perfect homemaker moms with perfectly decorated homes) struggle with things too. They just don't always admit it. I love you tons girl! Keep your head up!!

Mel said...

I love you! Please find the book "Keys to the Kingdom" it has so much insight into it in how to get through rough patches like this. It isn't a church book, but is one that I think every woman on the earth should read. I am reading it again for the second time.