Monday, February 22, 2010

Hospital Stay- Part 2

Part Two:
This night (Wednesday) was the one of the hardest, most emotional nights I've ever had in my life. And looking back I realized that's when our support system just magically showed up. I'm so grateful for that.
As the doctor was telling us the (bad) news, my sweet friend Crystal was buzzing in- she was in the waiting room with dinner for me and Samuel, and a camera that I'd asked to borrow. So she was the one who heard the news first. I was trembling and crying as I told her, and she just grabbed me and hugged me so tight and just cried with me. It meant so much to me. I think she was literally holding me up at that moment, and I was glad she was there. She called the Relief Society President who headed over to the hospital. Just before she arrived, our awesome friend and home teacher and his 2 little girls arrived with a stuffed kitty and balloon for Kalia. I was still crying and having a hard time stopping, and so once the RS Pres arrived (who happens to be one of the sweetest most loving women I have ever met in my life) she suggested I go get a blessing, since Samuel and the home teacher were there. She stayed with Kalia while we found the empty "chapel" and they gave me my very-needed blessing. I asked my home teacher to say the blessing. He has been through some hard times, including losing his leg and the use of one arm in a scary hit-and-run accident on his mission. I knew that he would have a magnificent perspective of what we were going through, and I wanted him to be the mouthpiece. It was such a beautiful blessing, and I remember him saying that we would come closer to each other, and to the Lord, through this, and that our backs would be strengthened to bear the burdens that would be placed upon it. I was reminded that nothing is to big or small for the Master of the Universe to repair, if it was His will. And I was told that Kalia would have angels around her bed to help her, as well as the doctor and nurses who would be inspired as to how to best help her.

I know his little girls just stared at me (open-mouthed) during the blessing, because I was trying hard not to sob. But I finally felt some peace afterward, and I went back in to the room with Kalia. My RS Pres reminded me not to be shy about asking for blessings, because as she put it, "What else can we do to get such an instant blessing of peace?" She was right. I tried REALLY hard to be happy and cheerful for Kalia, who was noticing my behavior. Samuel was holding up pretty well at this point. Thank goodness only one of us was falling apart at a time.

She was awake (her bum was numb for 4 hours- that was nice. I wish we had that going on right NOW!) and the hospital had tons of brand new toys for her to play with and take home. There was STILL no room for her anywhere, so we were hanging out in the post-op room. Our Bishop came to visit. He was a little ticked that this incident had happened the day before, and he was just hearing about it then, but it was still nice of him to pop in and to try to cheer us up. After he left, I went out to call my parents. Instead of my mom answering, it was my dad. I was so glad to talk to him, because he always has such wonderful spiritual counsel. After I cried my heart out to him, I asked him, "So, what do you think?" He told me that the words he kept hearing were the words from "Master the Tempest is Raging." He said he kept hearing the words, "They all shall sweetly obey thy will...Peace, Peace, be still." He also reminded me that sometimes our relief will not come until after our darkest hour. And I told him that THIS BETTER BE IT CAUSE I DON'T WANT IT GETTING ANY DARKER! It's seriously been a long 8 months of roller coaster trials, so I was hoping that maybe this was a sign that we were hitting rock bottom.

This is what her little bum looks like now:I know, right? It's hard to look at. And she cannot stand it when we have to wash her or put Bacitracin on the stitches. She screams until my heart is ready to break. But they are at high risk for infection because of their location, so I have to put her through that multiple times a day- every time she goes to the bathroom I have to put her in the shower and hose her down with the showerhead to try to get her clean. The worst part is that they put her on a laxative while she was in the hospital, because it had been 2 days without a bowel movement, and we didn't want her to get constipated or to have to bear down to push. But now, a week later, she is still having diarrhea and it means I spend a good portion of the day washing her off in the shower, and making her scream when I put stuff on her stitches.

Okay. This is weird but I am going to write it anyway. I have to stop here for awhile because I am having a hard time writing this. I am crying and shaking and my teeth are chattering. I kind of don't know where this is coming from because it didn't happen when I wrote Part One, but I think I need to go get on my knees in some prayer cause I don't know what else to do. It's like there's miles and miles of deep emotion that just need to come out, and I think that replaying all of this is tapping into something deep...something that I didn't know was there. I didn't realize this had been so traumatizing for me...like I should even have time to think of myself at a time like this. But I have a hard time sleeping at night. And I had to bathe Annie last night, and it took me about 30 minutes to get the courage to go into that bathroom to fill up the tub for her. There was still a little blood smudged on the tub. So I appreciate your prayers not only for my sweet Kalia, but also for me and Samuel, as we work out way through all of this. I love you guys and I can't thank each of you enough who have reached out to show your love for us. It is really carrying us through.

25 comments:

Ann Mitchell said...

Oh, Heather! I am soooo sorry that you had to go through this! I hope everything works out well for you! You've had enough this last year to write one of those LDS novels...and get rich!!! I called the temple prayer roll when I saw your post. I put all of your names on the prayer roll...I also put them in again when I went to work there Friday. There's not much I can ever do...but I can do that!!! Good luck with everything...the Lord loves you and your family!

Jamey said...

I am so sorry that this had to happen to you and your beautiful daughter! I hope that everything heals correctly, and speedily. You are in our prayers!

Traci said...

Oh Heather! My heart just aches for you and your family. You are in my prayers. Please hug that little girl of yours for me and keep us updated.

jaesi said...

Oh her poor bum. The video you posted on FB is crazy amazing after seeing her stitches.
What a strong beautiful girlie.

Seriously she is SO beautiful. Look at those adorable pics of her right after surgery in a scary ugly hospital.

Just take it a day at a time. No blaming or regretting. Lots of love, and good food :)

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Yeah, I'm with Jaesi. Kalia is quite the girl to be doing what she is doing in that video you posted if her bum is all stitched up like that!

She for sure takes after her mama! One tough girlie!

ChrissyLee said...

i'm so sorry heather. we'll pray for you.

Krystal Trapnell said...

You were right--train tracks for sure! You're sure the plastic surgeon did that, and they didn't let you stitch her up? Ha ha, just kidding. Please don't come after me little Filipino man!

Love you guys!

HeatherB said...

Oh Heather, our prayers are with you and your sweet baby girls. One day at a time hon, the Lord is mindful.

Sita, Shalie, Kalia, and Vili said...

I cannot believe all that you have been through lately. If anyone can get through this I think it's Kalia. It always amazes me to watch the videos you post of her. She has always been more physically advanced than most kids her age. We will definitely keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

~Kreitzers said...

Heather, I wish I were there to hug you! You've had one heck of a ride the past little bit. I truely hope things start looking up for you. I wish there were something I can do....if there is, hundreds of miles away, let me know and I'll do it!

azandersens said...

Wow, what a crazy story. I hope her nerve heals well and that things settle down soon.

Staci said...

I am so sorry to hear about this! My heart is aching just thinking about what all of you are going through. As a mother watching your child go through something like that is one of the hardest things you can do. And the guilt... I think you are going about it the right way. Look to the Savior. He suffered what he did so that we don't have to. Try not to place blame on yourselves. Easier said than done, I know. Things happen. Focus on that beautiful little girl and just know that everything will work out. You'll be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

My sweet sweet friend...never apologize for doing what's best! ;) My hats off to you for taking the time to feel it all. I didn't during our big events and would break down at the end....not a good thing for the family! You take the time. You are a daughter of God just like your sweet one! A moment for you does more for her than I'm sure you realize! ....on a lighter note....I'm with Krystal...a plastic surgeon did that?! Good night...I cross stitch better than that! ;)

Emma said...

You're amazing Heather & I am constantly amazed by you.

Can you email me your address? We put a little care package for Kalia tonight & Andrina is excited to send it off!

Kat Clark said...

I don't really know what to say but I just have this burning in my chest. I want to do everything, EVERYTHING I can to help you but I don't know what that means. I know for sure that means praying and fasting and the last time I prayed and asked what more I could do for you I thought of pizza. That sounds funny but it is true. I want you to know that nothing you could ask of me right now would be too much or an imposition. I love you. You are amazing. You are so beautiful inside and I know that the Lord is pollishing you right now. You can do this. You will get through this. I love what your dad said. Peace, peace...

The Isoms said...

Wow Heather! What a story! How awful for your little family. I know (as you do) the Lord gives us the strength and courage we need at times like this. He is there to give us comfort and support.
It sounds like you have a GREAT ward that is taking care of you! What a blessing.
I pray that she will continue to heal completely and that you and Samuel may remain strong and comforted.

Lisha said...

I couldn't stop thinking about his all day yesterday when I read it. That looks sooo painful! I have been praying for Krystal and little Carter and have now added your family to my prayers as well! You guys are going through alot with your little ones. Makes me sad! Hang in there! :)

Kevin and Emily said...

First of all, you and your family are amazing! I am so sorry for all of the trials that have come your way lately. Your faith and attitude are inspiring.

I wanted to share one of my favorite quotes:
"Night never had the last word. The dawn is always invincible." -Hugh B. Brown

Always remember you are loved and never alone. We are praying for you and Kalia.

becca olsen said...

Heather! I'm so sorry you had to go through this! You and Samuel have always been incredible examples to us of endurance and faith. Thank you so much for that. We are praying for you guys and for sweet little Kalia!

Olga Bogach said...

Dear Heather, my heart is aching for you. We will keep you and Sam and Kalia in our prayers. hang in there

Cam and Lohi said...

I can only imagine what it must be like for you and Sam. I'm sitting here reading and crying. Know that Heavenly Father is there and loves you so much! My prayers are with all of you at this time. Kisses for all of you!

Meili said...

Heather, I'm so glad you've posted this on Facebook and here on your blog. Everyone who reads it is praying for you and Samuel and Kalia and Annie. I'm crying for you because I think when you become a mom, you become connected in some way to all other moms in the world. I can feel your sorrow for your little girl, even though it's just a tiny fraction of what you feel.

Lots of prayers coming your way. Stay strong.

Jamie W said...

Oh Heather, my heart is just sad that you are all having to go through this. I will definitely continue to keep you (& Krystal too - what a down right rotten, awful week for your family) in my prayers. I hope you can feel peace and comfort as you process all of this. From what I know about you as a person, I know you are a wonderful mom. I hope she continues to make fantastic progress.

{I am glad you went "un-private on your blog for a little bit. For a long time, I've been meaning to have us swap blog invites. I would love a permanent invite when things calm down. Send me your email address to jmswakefield@hotmail.com and I will invite you to mine too, if you want.}

Natalie said...

I think I am going to refer to you as JOB from here on out! What a comfort is must have been to have the priesthood blessings given to you and your family. I'm glad (in hind sight) to see that she is doing better. She's a doll.

Natalie said...

I think I am going to refer to you as JOB from here on out! What a comfort is must have been to have the priesthood blessings given to you and your family. I'm glad (in hind sight) to see that she is doing better. She's a doll.