It was during a a rest hymn that we sang "How Firm a Foundation." I know those words and have sung that song a million times, but this time it caused tears to stream down my face.
"In every condition, in sickness, in health, in poverty's vale, or abounding in wealth. At home or abroad, on the land or the sea, As thy days may demand...so thy succor shall be. "
"Fear not, I am with thee, oh be not dismayed. For I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand. Upheld...by my righteous Omnipotent hand."
You guys, I have been trying to write this post for several days now but I haven't been able to do it. I just can't seem to find words for it. But I'll give it my best shot. Sorry, but some of the details are confusing.
The original plan when we moved into this house and this neighborhood was for Samuel to work 20 hours a week for the owner of the house so we could get free rent and utilities. Then, he'd spend his other 20 hours/week as the Property Manager of the apartment complex in Phoenix. After about 4 days we discovered this arrangement was not going to work. The property that Samuel was working at was a MESS. The owner (his name is Tony for future reference) told Samuel he had 60 days to get it all figured out, and then he had another property he wanted to add to his load. There was no way that Samuel could sort through the mess of that property in 20 hours a week. It needed 60 hours a week for about 5 months. So Samuel told the owner of the house (we'll call him J) that he would no longer be able to work for him in exchange for free rent. We started paying rent instead (at a discounted rate, since the house is for sale and we were showing it at the time.)
He started working CRAZY long hours at the property, and he worked his butt off. At first Tony treated him well. He wined him and dined him and promised all kinds of bonuses and future advancements. BUT, he kept paying Samuel for 20 hours a week (promising that would change once the 60 days were up). So to say we were living on a tight budget would be an understatement, but we were able to make it for those two months.
Within the last few weeks though, Tony became increasingly asinine and verbally abusive. Not only did he have the worst potty mouth of anyone I know (F-words nonstop all day, from what Samuel told me) but he started berating and belittling Samuel, calling him things like "stupid", "dumb" and "blind"...and for reasons that didn't even exist. He would come home dejected and depressed, partly because his boss was treating him so badly, and partly because he never got to see his family (kids always in bed when he got home) and because he was getting paid PENNIES to do it.
It's a long story how it all went down, but last week Samuel was replaced with a new manager. Tony tried to pull a fast one on him and lied to him, telling him he was bringing in some "temporary help" but it turned out to be Sam's replacement. It was so obvious what was going on, Samuel knew for a few weeks that he was probably getting replaced, but Tony would lie about it and so we hung on to a thread of hope that maybe that wasn't the case. But not only was that really the case, when it happened Tony made up some bogus story so that he could "Fire" Samuel "with cause" instead of laying him off (that means Samuel wouldn't qualify for unemployment.) He just basically screwed Samuel over in every way possible, after Samuel worked so hard for him. I just hope Samuel has some ego left after all this. (Come to find out, that Tony has gone through 5, no, Samuel is the 6th, manager in SEVEN MONTHS. Tony thinks somebody is going to work a miracle on his property but he's really just digging himself into a deeper hole by not letting anyone stay there long enough to make any progress. I hope Samuel feels good about lasting the longest...)
Well, we are going to file for unemployment anyway and hope the state will determine he is eligible. They must have a way of dealing with owners who try to get out of paying unemployment by "firing" without a good cause.
In other bad news, the job working for the owner of the house (J) is no longer available. To make that even worse, on Saturday we had 3 people knock on the door asking us if we were renting the house. We told them no, it's for sale, not for rent. But finally we realized something was wrong and we got on craigslist only to find THIS ad. Yes, that's right, our house was up for rent. The owner of the house (who knows Samuel lost his job) just decided to find a new renter AND J DIDN'T EVEN TELL US. He's trying to get $300 more than what we're paying him. I'm sorry, I can't hold this in, I THINK HE IS A GREEDY JERK and I wish I could use stronger language but I did just listen to conference yesterday. Seriously though, what kind of person does that? He's selling the house in a few months for crying out loud. He's not paying the mortgage, he's pocketing the money. And he's just kicking us out on our butts? We have enough money to pay rent for the last few months before it sells. He didn't even ASK us what our situation was. We absolutely cannot understand this behavior from an active member of the church. I seriously need to pray for charity for the guy, because if I see him anytime soon, I won't lie, I will want to rip his head off.
I don't think J knows that WE KNOW that he's looking for new tenants, but it will probably all come out today or tomorrow. The good news for us (and bad for him) is that we do have an actual rental contract that says that he (J) has to give us 30 days notice to move out. He obviously doesn't realize that contract is in force, or he wouldn't be trying to find a tenant BEFORE notifying us and giving us our 30 days. So that's my one little piece of retribution that makes me want to smirk and say "ha ha"...just like a little kid.
So, our world basically fell apart. Our two months of peaceful bliss in a beautiful neighborhood and house...well, soon it's all over.
I have had a hard time feeling peaceful and trusting...last time it was so easy, but this time I have been filled with fear and anxiety. Was this part of the plan all along? Or did we not learn what we were supposed to the first time?
So, if you're wondering what's next...well, we are too. We have no idea. Not much of a plan. But we are feeling more humble than ever. We heard someone in conference say that the question we should be asking is, "What wouldst thou have me do Lord?" and as obvious as it seems, we needed the reminder. Sometimes we feel like we have to figure out the solution on our own. But we need to know what the Lord would have us do, because obviously He is still trying to teach us something.
Elder Clayton's talk about carrying our burdens hit me really hard on Saturday morning, and one part of it in particular seemed to be just for me, and me alone. It's almost too personal to share but I am very very grateful that it happened to be one of the talks my kids were quiet (or absent? where were they?) during...cause I needed to hear it. Samuel said he got some answers in the Priesthood session.
So, if you're wondering if we're going to move in with Samuel's parents, well, we hope it can be avoided. We love them dearly, but frankly it would be hard on everyone. It's a small house and there's definitely no room to store any of our furniture. We do have the option if absolutely necessary though, and of course if it's the will of the Lord.
And so now you might understand why tears were streaming down my face as I was reminded that even in poverty's vale we should "fear not" because He is with us and will "still give us aid." And we are sure going to need it. We need him to "strengthen" us, "help" us, and "cause (us) to stand." And there will probably be times that he will have to hold us up entirely. And so I just remember the promise, "As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be.
Your prayers are appreciated (once again.)
18 comments:
"I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."
Do not despair. We have had to live with family a few times and as hard as it was, I learned a lot going through it. And I look back on their willingness to help as great blessings in my life.
Prayers for you and your family! :)
I don't have any profound words other than, we will keep your family in our prayers! It sometimes feels like the crappy things we go through will never end. But they do!!! We love you guys & hope you'll let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do!
When it rains, it pours...and then you think you see the sun...but sometimes it rains again.
It reminds me of that song: "sometimes he lets it rain" he knows that you guys can handle all of this, or else you wouldn't be in this situation. Keep your head up. You are in our prayers!
I feel your pain! We too feel like it is one thing after another. I was totally kicking myself for every imperfection till I heard...seriously can't remember who...but they talked about the Liberty Jail (where I served!!!) and how "all these things shall give thee experience and shall be for thy own good" ....talk about a much needed reminder! I loved how they talked about going through these trials with a smile (basically) and being grateful the Lord thinks enough of us to give us such trials. Sometimes...a person just wants to be mad....but the Spirit is so healing and the way is so simple...almost too simple huh?! ;) Love you girl! We'll switch up prayers, k?! ;)
Oh Heather, my heart hurts for your family.
The only thing that comes to mind is that you must have something great instore for you to have trials like these. I hope you can get there fast!!!
I'll keep you in my prayers!
oh man...not fun! As for the unemployment thing, definitely fight for it. The first time it'll probably get denied, but try again and they might put it through. That happened with my sister. She kept at it and was able to win!!! So, keep at it and hopefully something will come from it! Good luck
Oh Heather, how awful. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.
Oh sweet Heather! I am so sorry that all of this is going on! Of course you are in my prayers.
I can honestly say that while our situation was different I KNOW exactly how it feels to not know what is coming next! Keep your faith in the Lord, keep doing what's right and he will guide you both! My love and hugs :)
My whole prayer was about you last night.
There is never a trail that we cannot handle...it sucks when it is happening, but the Lord knows your strengh and you are STRONG!!!! Keeping you in our prayers!
I'm so sorry Heather. I can't imagine you guys needing any more trials, but here you are. Some of the very best roads my life has taken were by going through trials. Like Emma, I am sure there is something great in store for your family. and I too hope it comes to you fast! You're faith is an example to me, thanks for sharing your hardships. You're in my prayers.
I am sitting here crying just trying to imagine what you are going through. You are an inspiration though. Thanks for sharing your story with us so that we can all learn from your faith.
You're in my prayers.
Heather- I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry your family is going though a tough time. I think the world of you and just know that I am thinking about you and have been praying for You & Samuel. You are so strong and I know this season of your life right now will end and it WILL get better. I just love you and I am grateful for your testimony and strong faith.
what a mess. but i am definitely admiring you out look on it all. you are a great example of faith. its hard to remember in the moment, but it always works out in the end.
I can't believe the crap you guys have had to deal with recently. You don't deserve any of it. You have taken the wrath of a lot of really BAD people's actions. I am really sorry for the things you have gone through. Man how I wish there was a "bail out" program for all of us hard working people out there. I can't handle it. Best hopes and wishes and you do sound like you have a good attitude. I wouldn't handle it as well as you.
Bless your heart. I am so sorry for all of this mess. You may want to contact an attorney that deals with rentals and such. I was told when we were in California that it is really hard to evict a tenant under contract. There are even some attorneys who will give you free advice/pro bono etc. Do you know any attorneys? Knowledge is power, and it would be good to know what you were up against. Good luck.
Hey Heather, I am so glad that you are going to start following our blog. I know we don't talk often, but I think about you and your family a lot. I love all you girls so much.
I think what you Landlord is doing to you is definitely illegal. It is good that you have a contract, but even without one that is horrible and I think there are laws that protect this from happening to tenants. My opinion does not really matter... but I would confront him and call him out on what he is doing.
If you are showing his house and helping him out - girl you are being used. What if you were doing the dishonest thing and telling buyers or "renters" (whoever these people are) false problems the house had so no one would want to live in it???
Post a Comment