Sunday, August 30, 2009

Birthday Party- Kalia is 2 (Part Two)

First, let's not forget Samuel, he turned 32 on the 23rd. He's doomed forever to have his birthday combined/downplayed/overshadowed by Kalia's (on the 24th).My labor started at midnight on the 22nd (technically the beginning of his bday on the 23rd, then I was admitted into the hospital at 10 a.m. He was preparing himself that whole day to share his birthday with his firstborn, but I had that long and arduous (never used that word before, that was exciting) labor that didn't end until 3:37 a.m. on the 24th. So he thought they'd have the same birthday, but Kalia stalled as long as she could so that they could have SEPARATE birthdays (as if it did any good this year). Anyway, Happy Birthday to Samuel too! (His mom made that cake, homemade German Chocolate, it was divine! I was the hostess, so that's all I did. Host.) I know my mom will like this picture, because she sent Kalia some fun little things, but Kalia's favorite part was the Princess napkins that came with it. A NAPKIN! Kids are so easy to please when they're this young.

The birthday kids sharing a birthday kiss. (Kalia has the best pucker. She always puckers that hard. That is a really funny word. It's late and I'm tired.)

She's been watching Elmo's World, he taught her ALL about birthdays, so she was super excited to have the full "PARTY" experience. We were super excited to wear those uncomfortable elastics under our chins, and to listen to those goose-like horns honking for 3 hours.

I found a cool bike/trike thing on craigslist, she can actually pedal it. (I think that's significant because of the line in the birthday song (see above right column) that says, "And soon your legs will grow, and make the tricycle go, and take you away from us all." So sad and sweet! Anyway, we let Nana and Papa Bigler give it to her, since they picked it up for me and paid for it! Thanks Nana and Papa! (And thanks cousin Rowan (3) for showing her how to do it.

Rowan's mommy, my SIL Erin, made this Elmo cake for Kalia-- and she did it without a pan! I was SO impressed (and SO relieved that I didn't have to try to make a cake myself. No skills in that department.)


Last year's video was funny, at least to us, if you remember she lifted the whole plate of cake up to her face to try to eat it. This year's video was cute because she was taking the whole "blow out your candles" thing VERY seriously. (She'd even practiced several times that week on my Bath and Body Works candles that were lit.)


Finally, a few more things that Kalia is doing at age 2
*She counts objects accurately, and can count to 16 (she skips 15)
*She can correctly identify these colors: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Pink, Purple, Black, Brown, White, and Light Tan (just kidding, Nacho fans.)
*She LOVES shapes and points them out everywhere we go. Like in the parking lot, she found a triangle where some diaganol lines were painted for the shopping carts. I was impressed.
*She does the funniest dance that includes her arms held up close to her (like chicken wings)
*Whenever she coughs she says, "I'n sick"; She likes to ask for "Grape's juice"
*She is being a MAJOR bully to Annaliese right now
*When people ask her what her name is, she says, "KaWee-a"
*She says sentences pretty well, but not always that clearly. Word Example: She can say "Dominic" with perfect clarity, but still cannot say "Lara" in any recognizable form.
*She's starting to say, "What's That?" and pointing at things and it's driving me crazy because she already knows what 99% of the things are.
*She loves to say Hello "Hull-o", Good-bye "Guh-bye" , and Good Morning, with super huge amounts of enthusiasm.
*She likes to ask where people are when she notices that they're gone.
*Still potty training herself really well. More details on that in another post.
The birthday party was amazing, we had so many family members here, and they brought almost everything, and grilled the food for us too. I didn't do anything but get party supplies from the dollar store, and decorate. How easy was that? It was the first party I've ever thrown...and I may just do it again sometime, if it's really THAT easy!! :)

3 comments:

Krystal Trapnell said...

Mom bought that big wheel/trike thingy for Damon when he was one. It has been the best, most used bike we own. Kyla can pedal it, too, and Damon and Allie still like to ride it down the hill to our house. It's a keeper for sure!

Happy birthday Kalia, you sweet thing!~

Bundy Family said...

Fun party. I loved all her sayings. She sounds like such a loving child.

Rebecca said...

Taylor is just a few months younger than Kalia. I am always amazed at how much Kalia is saying and doing. I can't imagine Taylor counting or potty training in the next 2 months. You have one smart little cutie on your hands.