
Okay, OBVIOUSLY I should vote, you've heard it as much as I have-- people think this might be the most important election in our lifetime, because of the state of the economy.
I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
When we moved to Vegas, we got something in the mail about registering to vote, so I immediately filled it out and mailed it in. I even gave Samuel a hard time about not registering to vote until recently.
I just got online to make sure I'm registered to vote. I'm NOT. And it's too late to register!!!! I have no idea what happened.
Well, then Samuel and I realized that I am still registered to vote in Hawaii, and I could do so by using an absentee ballot. I thought that sounded good, after all, how could I NOT VOTE? I think my vote counts a lot in both Nevada or Hawaii (sometimes I felt like I was wasting a vote in Utah, since it was always for the republican candidates, just like the majority of Utahns.)
Well, two problems.
First: The absentee ballot asks for an address-- not a huge deal, I could just use my old one. They would mail my ballot to me here in Vegas...but then it asks me to SWEAR that the information is correct, and that I am a resident of the state of Hawaii (and then it reminds you that falsified information is conisdered a FELONY and could result in imprisonment and fines.) Well, if it was supposed to scare me, IT DID!
THEN, yesterday I read in the newspaper about some guy using false addresses to register people to vote in different states (long story, not worth repeating) but he totally was busted and in big trouble!
Second problem: I can't quite decide who to vote for. I have always been supportive of the republican candidate because they are, like myself, against gay marriage and abortion. However, I have to be honest and say that I am not thrilled with John McCain. When I see him on TV I'm kind of embarrassed for him. I watched the VP and Presidential debates (for the first time ever), and I am just SO not impressed with McCain. I actually LIKE Obama better, or should I say, his personality and his delivery, et., but I am not really feeling like I can trust him either. Actually, I am more concerned about someone assassinating Obama, Biden taking office, and our country getting totally corrupted, but I made that theory up myself, and don't know why I feel that way.
So, I took one of those little tests where you read the policies and quotes from the candidates (and they don't tell you who said it), and then you choose which ones seems to fit your ideals better, and then at the end it tells you which candidate fits you best.
Results: 7 points for Obama, 6 points for McCain.
SO WHAT DO I DO? Vote illegally? Not vote at all? I am seriously so torn. I would feel sad if I didn't get to vote in this incredibly "IMPORTANT" election, but part of me feels like...what's the point? I don't feel strong enough about either candidate. But I will feel sad that I got left out of this one.
I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
When we moved to Vegas, we got something in the mail about registering to vote, so I immediately filled it out and mailed it in. I even gave Samuel a hard time about not registering to vote until recently.
I just got online to make sure I'm registered to vote. I'm NOT. And it's too late to register!!!! I have no idea what happened.
Well, then Samuel and I realized that I am still registered to vote in Hawaii, and I could do so by using an absentee ballot. I thought that sounded good, after all, how could I NOT VOTE? I think my vote counts a lot in both Nevada or Hawaii (sometimes I felt like I was wasting a vote in Utah, since it was always for the republican candidates, just like the majority of Utahns.)
Well, two problems.
First: The absentee ballot asks for an address-- not a huge deal, I could just use my old one. They would mail my ballot to me here in Vegas...but then it asks me to SWEAR that the information is correct, and that I am a resident of the state of Hawaii (and then it reminds you that falsified information is conisdered a FELONY and could result in imprisonment and fines.) Well, if it was supposed to scare me, IT DID!
THEN, yesterday I read in the newspaper about some guy using false addresses to register people to vote in different states (long story, not worth repeating) but he totally was busted and in big trouble!
Second problem: I can't quite decide who to vote for. I have always been supportive of the republican candidate because they are, like myself, against gay marriage and abortion. However, I have to be honest and say that I am not thrilled with John McCain. When I see him on TV I'm kind of embarrassed for him. I watched the VP and Presidential debates (for the first time ever), and I am just SO not impressed with McCain. I actually LIKE Obama better, or should I say, his personality and his delivery, et., but I am not really feeling like I can trust him either. Actually, I am more concerned about someone assassinating Obama, Biden taking office, and our country getting totally corrupted, but I made that theory up myself, and don't know why I feel that way.
So, I took one of those little tests where you read the policies and quotes from the candidates (and they don't tell you who said it), and then you choose which ones seems to fit your ideals better, and then at the end it tells you which candidate fits you best.
Results: 7 points for Obama, 6 points for McCain.
SO WHAT DO I DO? Vote illegally? Not vote at all? I am seriously so torn. I would feel sad if I didn't get to vote in this incredibly "IMPORTANT" election, but part of me feels like...what's the point? I don't feel strong enough about either candidate. But I will feel sad that I got left out of this one.
What do YOU think? What should I do? The floor is open for open political discussion.
27 comments:
I wish I could tell you what I think and have it be one way or the other but I don't know! How weird is that?! One of your most opinionated friends doesn't have a set opinion! Sorry friend, good luck... :(
It cant come quick enough....
Im so siiiick of all the campain garbage.
I don't have any advice for you, but Erik keeps telling me that if Obama gets elected, he's sure there are going to be assassination attempts. I feel the same way you do though. I am embarrassed for McCain (Erik says he looks like death warmed over) and I think Obama is great when it comes to addressing people, but I think I'm going to end up basing my decision more on the possible VP's and not the presidents themselves. That is if I get to vote...We sent off the registration to vote just in the nick of time, but haven't heard anything yet. So I may not be voting at all this year (and I'm in a swing state too, which really sucks).
I think Obama is charming and a great speaker. BUT I don't want him anywhere near the White House. I have read a lot of stuff about him that makes me feel like he is a total snake. He blames McCain for the housing crisis, saying McCain wanted fewer regulations when it came to banks lending, but his campaign received TONS of money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, while McCain was trying to fight it.
I will send you an email with some info that might change your mind. I don't like McCain either, but I am very leery of Obama. Plus, I love Sarah Palin. Not that it matters here in Utah, where my vote doesn't really count...:)
I'll send you an email with a few
Of course I won't hesitate to tell you how I feel. Obama is a socialist, marxist who will do everything in his power ( which is a tremendous amount when combined with Pelosi and Reid) to see that this country is destroyed is rebuilt from the ground up where we will have no more voice in education, health care our own self-defense and even religion! Do I sound a bit extreme? I am passionate about this. I cannot stand John McCain will do anything in my power to see that Obama does not get elected. I haven't even mentioned how he was instrumental in seeing that a bill failed in Illinois that would have protected a child born alive after a botched abortion. I believe his exact words were that if the bill passed we would no longer have the right to "kill the child". I've got the transcripts of the proceedings downloaded if you are interested. There you have it now. That's my opinion. Your vote definitely matters, especially in Nevada. Maybe you can get ACORN to come sign you up.
There are things that I like about both, but one thing that really bothers me about McCain is that he wants to get rid of corporate health insurance. With all that I am going through, I really can't afford for my husband to lose his health insurance. Yes, McCain wants to just give us all money to buy our own, but my husbands job pays alot into ours, and I don't think the what $5,000 McCain would give would cut it.
I think that Obama does present himself ALOT better! I can't stand listening to McCain speak, so that is where Obama stands out.
I am with the people that wish that we could have Obama, and Palin on the same ticket!
In the end though, it doesn't matter as much who is in the white house, but congress, and senate. So we will see. I am not registerd to vote either...but in Utah, I don't think it matters. But then again, there are a lot of people that don't like McCain, so it may be interesting.
Oh Heather you are BRAVE to open up this can of worms! It's not surprising though, the blog where we've covered vaccinations, health care, etc. You always like to put it out there!
I think there are strengths and weaknesses to both parties. Remember that they won't have complete dictatorship--but a Democratic House and President could do some damage if you are more conservative.
I will throw my opinion in--I am fed up with both parties, and am and voting third party. I don't see it as a wasted vote, I see it as showing both Dems and Reps that I am disgusted with Big Politics and Big Government. I really like the ideas of the Libertarian Party and the Constitution Party (small federal government, free market system). There is a quote by John Q. Adams, "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." Think about what what issues mean the most to you and vote whatever candidate or party is most in line with those things. It's hard to find the perfect match.
Good luck, I hope you can vote somewhere! I'd be afraid to do the absentee ballot, too!
I guess your only option is to force Samuel to forego his own political convictions and vote for your candidate.
And by the way, where is the online quiz with the anonymous quotes? I'm intrigued.
I don't think I am going to get to vote at all this year, so maybe it doesn't matter who I like better...
And it's true, I am learning that the President is not as powerful as I thought, but that the congress has a lot more control than I thought...
And Brandy, I think Samuel wants to vote third party too. I have heard that a lot of people are looking for a third option, so you're right, what if a ton of people voted third party and made something happen? That would be awesome.
you are so funny! Could you imagine Sam having to bail you out of jail for voting fraud! And then what would happen to your babies? As your VT I could take care of your children... but not the entire time you were in jail! ha! i am totally kidding!
but I am serious about this.. you are not voting for what looks good on TV. Obama is a great speaker... but that is about it. People just like him. McCain stands for something.. .he may not be great to look at... but he stands for what I believe in... and that is all that matters to me! on a side note.. I think Obama sounds like The Rock. I would love for him to go on TV one day and say "Can You Smell What The Rock Is Cooking!?!?!?!?!" wouldnt that just be hillarious!
P.S. Meili (or anyone who wants to see that quiz thing), here is the link:
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/MatchoMatic/fullpage?id=5542139
There are checks & balances for a reason. The Pres can't do anything without it going thru a gazillion people. Any person on this level of politics of course has some corruption.
But Palin? Seriously? I haven't heard one interview with her where I haven't wondered about McCain's judgment. NOT impressed with her. All of her "gosh darn its" and "doggone its" sealed the deal for me. McCain is one heartbeat away from expiring and then Palin would be #1? No no no.
Ron Paul 2008.
theres your 3rd party. :)
Is he still on the ballot? Samuel LOVES that guy! He says he will know for a fact that his vote went to the best man. Thanks Jaesi. :)
About 15 minutes after I wrote my comment I remembered I wanted to say something about Ron Paul. I have a link on my blog to his "Campaign for Liberty." Unfortunately he's out of the race but he endorsed Chuck Baldwin, the Constitution Party's nominee, FYI :)
Jaesi, Ron Paul 2012!
Ron Paul 2012, yes!
I wouldn't be casting my vote in your situation. Having a baby in prison can't be a good experience.
I think either way we are S.O.L.
The problems that surround us today aren't because of one man, or one president but a series of presidents and a giant heap of greed and bad choices others have made.
Big politics have caused big problems and I am so so sick of hearing about it all. And I love how the media sides with one and then with the other we hear all these terrible things.. Really?
I'm with ya, McCain makes me uneasy, Obama makes me sick to my stomach. But thinking that McCain could kill over any minute and Obama could be assassinated.. sad reality we're faced with. The thought of Biden being press makes me want to move North. Palin might not be the best qualified either but really, are any of them? I'd much rather hear all her "gosh darn its" then more ridiculous promises that aren't obtainable.
I'm seriously thinking third party.
I'm with you, Emma. Well said.
Well Heather, there are clearly a lot of different opinions out there, and a lot of different information, depending on which side is telling the story. I am personally voting for Obama. I think he is a good man, with a lot of great ideas for the country. I have even done some campaigning for him out here. So there is another side to think about. I too have lots of information, should you care to know more:)
Like many other commentors, my wrestle this year is between staying mainstream or going third party. Obama was never in the equation for me. I do not trust anything he says, no matter how well(or at least WAY better than McCain/Palin) he puts it. I have no delusions of a third party candidate winning, but see it more as a tough love solution. Kind of like letting your kid sit in jail for a few days rather than bailing them out, hoping the pendulum swings back sooner for having felt the consequences. I've given up on being thrilled with my vote. This is the first year I feel like I really need to pray about the decision.
Whether my one vote really matters or not, I welcome the oportunity to examine where I am at and make that conscious choice for myself.
Voting Third party is a waste of a vote there will never be enough people voting for any One third party that would win them the election. While McCain was not my favorite for the Republican party, to me he is the WAAAYYYY Better of the two! I won't get started on all the reasons why but there are many a political commentators i.e Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Rush, that could give you ten thousand reasons why any votes for Obama are a vote for insanity!
Obama is great at reading a teleprompter but I have seen a few where he didn't have his handy words in front of him and what a mess! Just because a snake can dress himself up and speak well doesn't make him less of a snake!
It stinks that you may not get to Vote but it wasn't for lack of trying!! :)
This just in...Glenn Beck even finally admitted this morning that he is voting for McCain, but not for McCain. He's endorsing Palin as the only candidate left in the major parties who's moral compass still points in the right direction. Go Sarah! Did anyone else hear Obama's own words this weekend about changing the constitution?
Shannon, I didn't hear about it, I'd like to know more...
Shannon, I didn't hear about it, I'd like to know more...
don't do anything illegal!!! that's my advice. as far as who to vote for... (if you decide to ignore my advice) pray about it. our kids will be affected by our decisions in more ways than we think. but, i'm definitely not saying one way or another.
I am probably the wrong person to answer this question because I feel VERY strongly about this election. I will say, that McCain was not my first choice, HOWEVER......He is very healthy (despite what others think). Just because most of the bones in his body were broken while a prisoner of war while serving his country, most think that he is knocking on deaths door but that is just false! Who better to serve our country as our leader, than someone who has actually served our country! Obama's plans all put government as the supreme ruler over everything! He wants to tell us how much we are allowed to make, how successful we can be, bring in socialized medicine (that actually was tried in Hawaii and only lasted 8 months because it was so horrible). He associates with men and women that have zero respect for this country! He wants to ammend the constitution to give government MORE control. And when has the gov. really done all that well fully controlling things? McCain may not be the "best " speaker, and who cares if Sarah Palin says "gosh darn it"? It's not about looks and poise. It's about standards, records, morals, and personal responsibility. All of which Obama is in short supply! He has failed to admit that he recieved $70 million from fannie mae. Ok so I could go on for hours! It all boils down to who BEST represents your beliefs, and for me it is John McCain all the way!!!!!
oh, and by the way.......The opportunity you had recently to change your OBGYN would not be allowed under Obama's "everyone get's insurance" medical plan. The Gov. choses who you get to see and also, because "everyone" will get insurance, there is physically no financial way that you could see a specialist. Your mother would not be covered under Obama's plan. All her Chemo and radiation would be out of pocket . The easiest way to describe his plan is......"if you have $10, and that is for ten people's lunch, each person would get $1. But if you increase the amount of people that $10 is used for, say to 40 people, everyone is only going to get $0.25 to buy lunch." Now how many places do you know sell lunch for $0.25?
It would be a bad decision for you to vote illegally---just get registered right away for next one.
Actually, I vote for a "God Fearing" candidate! ...and, I do not trust anyone who's middle name is Hussein, just like I wouldn't trust anyone who's middle name is Adolf.
Here in Utah County, he's being declared the "Anti Christ" talked about in the book of Revelations.
Post a Comment