Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Bad News

Our family has had some bad news in the last few weeks. I think I am feeling a little bit numb, but maybe that's also a blessing of peace. Of course I do feel some fear, but also hope and faith too. I don't feel like I can do a very good job of writing about it, so my sister, Krystal, is letting me use her post from her blog. I know some of you have read it...but she put it just how I wish I could have. Thanks for letting me use it.

Killer
I think we were all expecting something big to happen.

A year ago, my mom cut off all her hair, a year earlier than she planned...
My dad was released from his calling as a member of the bishopbric of a young single adult ward..
My mom was released from her calling as Young Women's president...
We all wondered, what was coming? A call to the Stake Presidency?
But Stake Conference came and went and that wasn't it.
Wayne and Tara decided to stay at Dixie for a few years instead of moving...
Heather and Samuel decided it was time to move closer to home, and relocated from Hawaii to Las Vegas, much closer to the family...
Jeff will be finished with school in 3 months and we will be living in Utah for the first time in six years...What was coming?

We found out a few weeks ago. My mom has breast cancer. Even typing that makes me feel like I swallowed a rock. She found a lump, had it removed, and heard the bad news about what it actually was. She had a second surgery where 20 lymph nodes were removed from under her arm. It was in 2 of the 20. Now she will have to go through chemo as well as radiation, which could put her out of commission for the next year. She'll lose her hair and won't be able to take long trips to see her grandkids. Wait, she already parted with her hair (most of it) and soon none of her grandkids will be more than 4 hours away...isn't that interesting?

We all feel that this is the Lord's will. It's serious, as all cancer is, but everyone is hopeful that she will make a full recovery. And maybe we have been prepared for a while now, as it hasn't been much of a shock for any of us. My mom admitted that she knew she was going to have to have chemo from the very beginning, knowing that anything else would be "too easy." She is already talking about how much she has learned and how tender her heart has become. It's just a bump in the road, something that will enable our family to become closer to each other and closer to the Lord.

We all made our picks for March Madness this year, and we named my mom's team "Kancer Killer." As of today, Kancer Killer is in first place in our league. That makes me smile, and also makes me think that she is going to come out on top. Where she belongs. Love you mom. Thanks for being such a fighter.

25 comments:

Greg and Tammy said...

I did read about this on Krystal's blog, but wanted you to know that we are so sorry to hear about your mom's cancer and will keep you all in our prayers. What a blessing that you live closer now.

Anonymous said...

Heather, my prayers are with your mom and with your family as a whole. It sounds like she has a great attitude about it, and that's usually the best thing. I'm sure she'll pull through just fine.

Kristen said...

I'm shocked. I just talked to your mom on Sunday when we were at church. I had no idea. Please kno that our prayers are with your whole family.

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

My prayers are totally with your whole family. Isn't it amazing how all of you are going to be together?!? This will definitely be a time that your family will want to be together. Again, your family is in our prayers.

Alisha Wilkins said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom. Our prayers are with your family.

Ann said...

Heather,
Let me know if you have any questions or anything about what to expect, etc. I am a cancer nurse, but it's still always hard to deal when it happens to a friend. I'll be thinking of your family! Love you!

Heather B said...

Thanks so much you guys, for your comments and support. I told my mom that people were offering a lot of support, and she asked me to forward comments to her...so just know, she REALLY appreciates you guys, as much as us girls do. Love you all.

~Kreitzers said...

My heart aches for you and your family, but if there is anyone I would think could fight and win it's your Mom! The Lord does work in mysterious ways and it's comforting knowing there's always a higher purpose :)

Traci said...

That breaks my little heart! I am glad you all have such a good attitude though. It will be a strength to your mom. Your Mom and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

Alyson said...

Wow. Beautiful post. So sorry to hear about it. I love how the Lord works. Some say it's mysterious. I think there are no consequences. I hope your mom is doing well. We'll be praying for her and for you guys as well. Love ya Heather!

bundy family said...

The Lord truly works in mysterious ways doesn't he? Since Jake has been gone I have gained a serious testimony about the Lord and his plan for each of us. I've also learned that he doesn't give us something that we can't handle. Your family and mother will be in my prayers.

Jess said...

Wow! I am so sorry to hear about your mom. It is crazy how the Lord works. We will keep you all in our prayers also.

Crystal said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this Heather. It's amazing how everything plays out, isn't it? It's truly a blessing that your family will all be geographically close during this time, and I'm sure it will bring you all emotionally closer as well. BC is rampant in my family...it's heartbreaking, but good can definitely come of it. Our thoughts & prayers are with you too.

Live everyday to its fullest said...

Oh Heather...my heart goes out to you and your family. I too know the feeling of this aweful disease!! My grandmother had breast cancer about 5 years ago and Brians father just got over prostate cancer a year ago. I am so sorry for what lies ahead for your family but with faith in the Savior he will help you through this for he gives NO ONE A TRIAL THAT THEY CANNOT BEAR! I love you and you will be in our prayers!

jaesi said...

We love the Esplins.

Kevin and Emily said...

Your beautiful mother and your family will be in our prayers. The Lord will sustain and bless your family through this difficult time. Amazing how He already has brought you close together.

Rachel said...

I am so sorry Heather...what a trying time for your whole family. We will keep your Mom and family in our prayers and just want you to know that we love your family very much. It's when we are challenged that we often become more aware of the Lord's tender mercies in our lives. What a blessing your family will be so much closer while she goes through the treatments.

Julie said...

Wow! I am really sorry. I know trials make us stronger and we are supposed to be thankful for them, but honestly it is something I really have a hard time with. But we will be praying for your family too! I am so grateful daily for modern medicine and people who sacrifice their time and efforts to learn it!

Sarah said...

Your mom is such a strong woman; I know she will make it through this. My prayers are with you and your family.

Emma said...

So sorry to hear the news.
I pray that your family will be watched over in this time as some hard times are ahead. The Lord has a plan for each of us that is far greater then we could imagine. We'll be thinking of you and hoping for all good things to come your way. Keep us posted!

Shantal and Alofaaga Laulu said...

Heather...
Doctrine and Covenants 58:3&4
"Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation.
For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand."
Heather, I love you and will be thinking of you during this time of trial and tribulation for you and your family. I know that God is a God of miracles and He hears and answers the prayers of his righteous and faithful daughters, and that is exactly what and who you are! I love you and will keep you and your family in my daily prayers!

Miranda said...

Heather-I'm sorry to hear about your mom. We will remember her in our prayers. I guess moving closer to home was the best thing for you and Sam. We wish you are your family the best! We love you.

Christina Mangelson said...

Don't know what to say except Christ will be there for you, your mother, and your family. Love ya

Natalie said...

Heather,
There is nothing I can say, but that you and your family are in my prayers. I hope for nothing but the best outcome. You have a wonderful & strong willed mom...and I am sure she won't go down with out a fight!
Love you!

Find The Time Mama said...

My mom told me she heard your mom had breast cancer. My prayers are with you and your family. I have always admired the faith your family have and you all are great example to me! Tell your mom we love her and are thinking of her!