Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Tribute to my Dad

Well, I wasn't thinking straight. July 10, 2007 was my dad's birthday. I know he knows I have a blog, but would he stop in to read it? Probably not. Still, I should have written about him anyway. He's like the best man I know, and I tried to choose a husband as much like him as possible. :)



Krystal has a private blog, but I didn't want you to miss out on her awesome entry. She said I could post it here. Krystal and I are only 13 months apart, so we have a lot of the same memories.

Here ya go:
My Dad
Yesterday was my dad's birthday and I wanted to write up a little tribute for him. Happy Birthday Dad!

You may have heard me say (or read where I have written) that my personality is the complete opposite of my mom's, and that is true. So I guess it goes without saying that I am much more like my dad.

One of my favorite memories of my childhood is reading with my dad. He would come into our rooms at night and read books to us, skimming parts he thought would be too boring. Over and over we would chant, "don't stop!," sure that we would be able to understand every word out of his mouth. We read many books this way, but none stand out in my mind more than Summer of the Monkeys. It instantly became one of our favorite books, probably because it was already one of my dad's favorites. I remember him getting choked up at the end, when the brother decides to use the monkey money to get his sister's leg fixed, and all I could think was this has got to be the best story ever written!

I am sure that my love of reading can be traced back to those nights we spent together, and I can think of nothing else I would like for my own children than to have some of their grandpa's passion for books trickle down to them. I also blame/attribute my love of sports to him, as he was (and still is) an amazing athlete.

My dad was (and I hope still is) one of my biggest fans. While my mom didn't know what a pick and roll was (still doesn't in fact, although my sister and I have tried to teach her), my dad always knew more than my basketball coach (especially if you ask him). And for being such a mild-mannered man, his voice always carried louder than anyone else in the stands. I have two vivid memories of him from this time in my life. One was after a particularly disappointing game , when I came home feeling completely dissatisfied with my performance. My mom greeted me at the door with, "what happened?," genuinely spoken in love, but NOT what I wanted to hear. After brushing her off, hoping she would get the message that I wasn't in the mood to discuss it, I found my dad in the kitchen, making french fries. Maybe it's because I'm a lot like him, but he seemed to instantly realize how I was feeling and what I needed. He looked at me for a moment, and asked, "You hungry?" I nodded, and he lowered some sliced potatoes into the hot grease. He didn't say any more, but somehow that was exactly what I needed. Those fries may not have been magic fries, but they must have been pretty special, since I remember them ten years later.

I also remember my dad and Ross, the father of another girl on our team, at the state basketball tournament. Unlike most of the parents, they weren't satisfied sitting a respectable distance away, but chose to sit right in the middle of the student section. I remember looking up at them during the boys game (which, unfortunately, always seems to draw a much larger crowd than any game I ever played in), and being amazed at what I saw. Not only were they surrounded by dozens of students from the other school, who were taunting them relentlessly, they were standing up, yelling right back at them and pointing at the scoreboard. I got the feeling that somehow they had been transported back to their own "glory days," which we were always being reminded of, and I just shook my head, hoping that they would make it out of there without inciting a riot.

There are so many other things I could tell you about him, but I think this picture says it better than I could hope to. He loves his grandkids, maybe more so than his own children even, and I can't think of any place more inviting to fall asleep than on grandpa's lap in the middle of a crowded mall at Christmas time. Especially if he was looking at me with such love in his eyes. Yep, Allie is one lucky girl. And so am I. I love you dad!


She's a good writer, isn't she. Let me just second what she wrote about reading books, the Summer of the Monkeys (one of my favorite memories) and also, my dad's louder side, the one that showed up at athletic events. He sure passed on his competetive genes to us!

One of my favorite "dad" memories was the night I missed the game winning shot at the state basketball tournament my junior year (okay, bad basketball memory, good dad memory.) That was it for Krystal, the end of her senior year, and somehow I had ended up with the last shot. I just remember my dad coming out of the stands, putting one arm around each of us and we cried into his shirt. He didn't need to say anything. That's kind of his way- less words are sometimes better.

Let me add that I have always been proud to have him as a father. Now that I'm older I look back and realize how incredibly blessed we were to have a dad who faithfully gave us weekly family home evening lessons, even if we fell asleep through a lot of them (during basketball season, we were just so worn out!) He is a spiritual giant, and he knows more about the Gospel than almost anyone I know. Thank you dad, for all you have done, and continue to do for our family. This hardly seems adequate, but I hope you get to read it. I love you too, more than words can say.

14 comments:

jaesi said...

Thanks Krystal and Heather, you dad must be awesome if he raised girls like you all!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

How cute was that?!? I love it! Dad's are the greatest!

Kristen said...

That was so cute. I'm also a Daddy's girl! My momma is my best friend, but there's a special place in my heart for my Dad!

Emma said...

That was so sweet, now I love your Dad!
Isn't it crazy the way a Dad can take hold of a little girls heart and become her hero? Great post!

Tara Wayne Malakai Maddux Kenya Alofipo said...

Amen to that!!! we love dad Esplin!! he is the bestest!

jaesi said...

p.s. I just LOVE that pic of you.

Heather B said...

Yay- everyone loves my dad, how can you not. :)
Thanks Jaesi.

Morgan said...

Your dad really is an awesome guy! What a nice post about him.

Morgan said...

p.s. I am adding you to my links. Krystal, am I special enough to read your blog too??

brit said...

Hi Heather, I dont know if you remember me, but I somehow stumbled across your blog. I am in your moms ward now so she keeps me updated on you and on Krystal. I would LOVE to read Krystals blog.....tell her for me and give her my email address brittybrat111@hotmail.com if she wants to add me. I love hearing about your lives. Congrats on the upcoming motherhood. Lucky you. Girl, right? I thought that is what your mom told me:) Cant remember. Anyways, I will continue to enjoy blog stalking you:) Ha, ha. Totally kidding. (By the way, I have some great sports memories from you dad myself:)

Camie said...

Heather that was so tender. Its so nice to have people like your dad that you look up to and love so much. IT really got me choked up about my dad. He sounds like a great guy and I know he has to be because he raised all you kids to be wonderful people.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Note to Morgan (and anyone else who's interested): My blog is only private so I can make sure my kids are protected, not because I don't want people to read it. Send me an email and I would LOVE to send you an invite--espyk@yahoo.com.

kristen said...

Hey Heather! This is Kristen (Syphus) I just saw your blog on here and wanted to say hi! I haven't seen you in forever! I hear occasionally a few things because of our mom's being in 'club' and stuff, but yeah, not has fun as just saying hi to actually you! So what has been going on with you lately! Hope to talk to you soon!
Kristen

Heather B said...

How fun! More blogging friends! Britney, Kristen, I'm glad you found my blog, I'm linking up to you! I'm sure you'll be hearing from me. I love to comment. :0)