I found out on Friday that Ella has a broken clavicle. It is already healing- we assume it's from birth. I'm actually pretty positive that it happened at birth. A few clues (looking back):
1. Right after she was born I tried to nurse her on my left side- she wouldn't take it, she just kept whimpering. (The broken clavicle is her right, which would have been the side she was laying on to nurse on my left.
2. Ella cried for hours one night in the hospital. I remember calling in the nurse at 3 a.m. to bring me a pacifier and a turkey sandwich cause I was starving. She tried to re-swaddle and bounce the babe to sleep, with no luck. Finally an hour later I got her to fall asleep (exhausted- and with a pacifier.)
3. A few days after we brought her home from the hospital, I lifted her up under her arms and she seriously SHRIEKED. My mom was right there, and I wondered outloud if she could have a hurt shoulder. Broken clavicle never crossed my mind.
Last week, after one long and miserable night when Ella screamed before bed and the again in the middle of the night, I decided I'd had enough. I took Ella in to the doctor to have her checked for silent reflux- her doctor had me take her to get a 3D x-ray thing. It showed the break/fracture, and it also showed lots of bowel gas, like more than normal. So the doc told me to focus my efforts on helping her be less gassy (and not swallow so much air when she eats, etc.
In other news (you may have seen this on facebook too)- I had a particularly DIFFICULT Saturday over the weekend. Two birthday parties to go to (family) and Samuel was working again. Ella was fussy, the girls had totally dirtied up their brand new matching outfits (what was I thinking sending them to outdoor birthday parties in new clothes? duh.) and to make things worse, I have been in a ton on pain in my left leg and hip. I put the girls in their bedroom with the door shut because my OB-GYN had called me to find out more about my pain. He is going to send me to an orthopedic doctor, but ANYWAY, I was probably only on the phone for 5 minutes when I came out and found these girls like this:
Ella was crying of course, so I couldn't even put her down to clean it up. I think I cried a little, I might have said a swear word, and at least I had enough sense to know this will be funny one day, and I took some pics. (It's not funny to me yet- Annie's hair still looks grease-soaked after TWELVE washings with dish soap, and the carpet might be ruined.)
I made the girls sit in chairs in the living room for half and hour until Samuel got home. Then I let him deal with it. We were not happy parents that night.
Having 3 kids can be pretty tricky.
9 comments:
I'm so glad you guys figured out what was wrong with her...
No fun about the mess, but you WILL laugh one day. The pictures are hilarious!
So, what's causing the pain for you? Have you figured that out?
Hope the transition starts to get easier. I've heard the 3rd is the hardest. I'm seriously already nervous. 3 will probably be it for me... some weeks I can barely handle two. And, there will be a much bigger break between 2 and 3, then there was with 1 and 2. Please remind me this often! haha :) j/k!
Oh dear, oh dear!! I am so sorry! I would have cried and said 3 swear words. haha. Looks like you need to get those girls out of your house. PERFECT solution: Come swim with us on Friday! We will help you with all your girls, and it will give you a break from your house! I sent you a message on facebook with details. Hope you come! I am dying to see ella!
Poor little Ella with a broken clavicle. It was probably frustrating to not know what was wrong with her.
Good luck with getting the paste out of everything. I'm sure you handled it a lot better than I would have. :)
oh that poor sweet gorgeous baby. :(
makes my heart hurt!
"Those Skallywags!" exactly what my grandma Lapriel would have said :)
You tell me a day, and I will come pick them up, bring them to my house and let you have a day off.
IM DEAD SERIOUS. dead serious.
Glad you could see the humor in the lotion/paste incident. It is pretty funny but I know if it happened to me I wouldn't be laughing one bit. Isaac poured syrup all over the couch and carpet 3 years ago and I still don't find it funny but I'm sure everyone else does.
Anyway, sorry to hear about Ella's clavicle and your pain. Hope everyone recovers soon. And I hope you get the hang of 3 kids soon too.
that is funny...but not. you are doing a great job. what can you do with a baby and a broken bone like that?
Oh no. And last Saturday was so good. Guess that's what parenting is all about, huh? ups and downs. I'm so sorry though. Sounds like you handled it better than I would have.
I totally feel your pain!! I think I have the same exact picture only with lotion of my 3 yr. old with her cousin stark naked "taking a bath" they y said.
At least we can look back and laugh right!!
Good luck with the adjustment of 3!
I love reading your blog! I have been laughing my head off. The pics remind me of my bros. and sis. growing up. Every day there was a new story. Your kids are darling!!
Post a Comment