Sunday, August 29, 2010

Kalia turns 3

I just typed a freudian slip (can you type those? I know they are more a slip of the tongue...) anyway, I titled this post "Kalia is 4." Oops. But really I think it's because I've spent the whole year reminding people that she's not 4, not even turning 4. Both sets of grandparents needed reminding that she was turning 3 and not 4. Kalia even thinks she's 4, because her cousins just turned 4. I prepped her for months that she would be turning 3 on her birthday, but when the birthday arrived, she decided she's 4. She is tall. She is smart. She is athletic and very capable of doing anything she sets her mind to. She reasons and speaks and acts like a 4 year old, at least that's what everyone thinks. Okay, enough on that.

I don't like to plan parties. I don't like to make cakes. So we kept it simple this year with a family party with immediate family members of the Bigler family, and one couple from our last ward who we love and it feels like they're family (plus they have 3 girls that get along wonderfully with our 2.)

We swam in the backyard and BBQ'd and had ice cream cake (I made it...it looked kinda lame but tasted delish. Only got a phone pic.) Also had the most divine red velvet cupcakes, thanks to Grandma Bigler.(I love Kalia's face in the background.)
I couldn't deny a cupcake from Annie (ok, she had 3). She still has most of her food allergies/intolerances, so I knew I'd pay for this later, and I did, but it is getting really hard to deny food that everyone else around her is eating. And to quote her as she devoured her cupcakes, "MMMMM!!! I like cupcakes!!!"

Kalia insisted on buying the extra large party hat from the dollar store. She actually wanted to buy one for everyone but I convinced her that she should be the only one wearing the big hat, and that everyone else could wear the normal hats.

We got a smokin deal on craigslist for this bike. We actually got two bikes, two helmets, two sets of knee pads, and a tire pump for $35. The other bike will be Annie's present in November.


I feel a little twinge of sadness when I watch Kalia cruising down the sidewalk on her new bike. When did she turn into such a big girl? I also have a whole new world of anxiety about her being hit by a car, swerving into the road at JUST the wrong instant...that part is not fun for me, but I love seeing her so happy on her big girl bike.


Let's not forget that Samuel turned 33 one day before Kalia's birthday. Poor guy will never get all the attention of his own birthday again. Sorry babe. (We did get to go out just the two of us to a fabulous Thai restaurant and out to a movie. That was wonderful.)
I love it when he wears blue. And I love it when he's scruffy.
These two little girls have been amazing lately. I absolutely love the age and stage that they're at, and they haven't been fighting hardly at all, so I'm just enjoying it while I can. Finally after 18 difficult months, their closeness in age is really paying off and I couldn't be happier about their 14-month age difference. Here Kalia was trying on one of Daddy's belts. Not too bad, eh? She did that on her own.

Kalia also loves to play Reader Rabbit on the computer. It kinda blows my mind that she can use a laptop already. The girls will sit and play this game together (well, Annie just watches mostly) for at least 30 minutes. I love it.


Ok, enough rambling for now.
Bye.

6 comments:

Bundy Family said...

The 14 months being close together will even get better as they get older. I love that my girls entertain each other. It is hard when Kassidy is at school and Kimberly has no one to play with. I too am memorized by the fact that my children can run electronics better than I.

Crystal said...

happy birthday samuel & kalia!! i love when my man is scruffy too :)

Marylin said...

Oh how I love those girls and wished we lived close so I could see them grow up!! You are such a good mom! Happy Birthday to both Samuel and Kalia! Love you guys!!

jaesi said...

Sweet dealio on the bikes! I just bought maya a toddler bike and it was twice that price....actually her dad bought it...im not that nice :)

I shouldnt have read red velvet cupcakes...now it will be in my head until they are in my stomach.

And a swimming barbeque party in my opinion is the very best kind of party one can have! way better than the planned, themed, prepared kind :)

Krystal Trapnell said...

Happy birthday Kalia! You are awesome and we miss you!

Mandy said...

Time goes by so fast, sadly it won't be that long before she really will be four. They are both so super cute.