Well, it's over. She's done with naps. I have to accept it. How sad. Thank you to the other moms who told me that their kid(s) gave up naps around two years old, somehow that makes me feel better. All Kalia's cousins (Maddux, Malakai, and Kyla) are older and still napping and I'll admit I'm a little jealous. Oh well. I don't know any child that has as much energy and excitement about life as Kalia. (Last Sunday a girl in our ward said to me, "Kalia makes Noah look calm (they are the same age)...and that's hard to do." I just smiled. I know. At least she's not like, ADHD hyper, just pleasantly joyful. It bursts out of her.
Anyway, after three days of easy, successful naps, today was a mess. She climbed out of her crib at least 15 times and just played in her room. One time she knocked, so I went to the door and she told me she was poopy. (That was one of the 3 times she had a messy diaper. I swear she holds it in until nap time.) Another time I heard a big crash, and she was crying. Another time I just walked in and she was up on the changing table getting into the hand sanitizer. (I didn't even know she could climb up there.) I will definitely still enforce some sort of quiet time, for my own sanity. And on the bright side, since she only gets binkies while in bed, she's slowly weaning herself off them. Today as I got her up to feed her lunch, I asked her if she wanted some pizza and her eyes lit up, and she said, "Yes!" and then I said very seriously and solemnly, "but after lunch you have to take a NAP!" and she starts nodding with a real serious face and said, "Nap." I think she just told me her first lie. And she was really good at it. But it did crack me up. So...as for bedtime, she used to go to bed at 6:30 or 7. Does this mean I put her to bed at 5:30 or 6? That seems soooo early, and it's still light outside. But she's pretty tired by then....so what else do I do? Anyway, that's where we're at with that.
5 comments:
Man that sucks. I feel soooo lucky that Jack is not a climber. Phew. That being said, I have started reading Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and I think I remember him saying something about puting them to bed really early. I swear you were the one that told me about that book but I can't remember. I honestly don't know what I would do if I were you. Good luck.
My daughter gave up naps when she was two as well. Once we stopped fighting it our life got so much better and she started sleeping like 12-14 hours at night. It was really nice!
Tyler gave up naps really early, and I just made him have quiet time in his room. I think if she's tired by 5:30/6:00 put her to bed. If you wait to long after that she'll get over tired and not fall asleep easily.
Elsa would ALWAYS poo at nap time. She gave up naps early, too, like <2 years, but a month or two. I still wish my kids would nap. My friend has a 5 yo that still naps! I love the description of Kalia's energy as joyful! I'll think of that next time mine are bouncing off the walls (and pews) :)
Heather, Jaxan is starting to give up naps too. She is 3 1/2 but still it's driving me nuts. We do quiet time. I turn off her light and turn on her radio. She can look at books or whatever as long as she is quiet for an hour. Most of the time she ends up falling asleep on her own! It's been a blessing.
Post a Comment