Friday, January 09, 2009

Dark Hair

All right, here's the story:

The day after my birthday I decided I could FINALLY get around to taking care of my dark roots growing in. I hate those dark roots so bad. I usually go to Evans Hair School in St. George, Robert Evans is the owner and is a close friend of my parents. He did my hair for years, but at some point I started letting his "advanced" students do it, because then I didn't have to go in at 6 a.m. They usually do a really good job. I was feeling a little too washed out and decided to have some dark lowlights put in. I took in a picture of how I wanted it to look, and off she went.
Long story short...I liked it, but it was a little too chunky for me. I went back the next day to have her break up the chunks, but I came out with really thin highlights, and instead of looking like lowlights, I had a light brownish/grayish looking head of hair. I might have been a little too tired, or insane, but I decided that maybe it was a good time to go dark brown. (I should have listened to my friend Sara who says NEVER MAKE BIG DECISIONS OR DO ANYTHING TO YOUR HAIR AFTER HAVING A BABY. But I didn't. I went to Target and bought two boxes of dye, I got a shade DARKER then I wanted, to make sure all the blond was covered up evenly. (That was my first mistake. For those of you with highlights or bleached hair, learn from my mistake: That hair soaks up the dye FASTER so go a shade LIGHTER!) I happened to be in Arizona and we went down to Tucson to visit friends. I talked my friend Kat into helping me do it, (I remember her saying, are you SURE you want to do this? I assured her I did and that I wouldn't hold her responsible in any way for how it turned out.) I made mistake #2 by leaving the color on for a full 45 minutes (trying to cover up that blond!) and my hair came out like this: BLACK!! It was pretty shocking. It looked kind of like a Halloween wig, I thought. It was even darker than this picture shows.
Well, I called my friend Lara, who had a very similar experience. She told me it cost her $200 at a salon to get hers fixed (AUGH!) but that if I wanted to try something on my own, I could go to Sally Beauty Supply and get a color corrector that would "lift" the shade without bleach. (Remember, my hair has been bleached so many times over the years, if I bleached it all again, can you imagine? It'd probably break.) So, I bought the color corrector and did it two separate times. It's now a dark brown, with a bit of red in it. I like it. I don't think I will stay this way forever, but I admit, I feel SO free, knowing my roots can grow and I don't have to stress about it. My natural color is not this dark, so I might have to try another root touchup thing, but oh well, for now, this works. I'm thinking that I might have to cut off my hair before going back to blond, but my sister has been talking about donating to Locks of Love anyway. So we'll see. My 10-year reunion is next summer, so I can't decide if I should go back as a blond or brunette.



And that's the story of how I became a brunette. Maybe people will think I'm smarter or something. :)

43 comments:

Tara and David said...

I love it!! I totally understand the letting the roots grow out! It is so much nicer to not have to worry about it! Do you know anything about our 10 year reunion? I can't beleive that it has been that long. I wasn't able to go to the 5 year, (I had just had a baby) so I am so excited to see so many people!

Brandi Schall said...

I hate the horrors of hair! Yours turned out gorgeous, I love the red tint. Is this the first time you've done dark?

Heather B said...

Yes. Ever.

Holly Woolsey said...

I love it! Even though I've seen the pictures of you with dark hair... I think I will still always remember you with blonde...

Abby said...

i acutally really like it! it makes your eyes pop. I'd keep it brown!

Jess said...

OOOHHH! I love it!! It looks like it could be your natural color! And I agree with abby, it does make your eyes pop!

PS I like dying my hair dark, afterward it feels so healthy, and shiny.

Emma said...

I love it!!! Going dark was the best thing I did for my hair! It takes some getting used to but now I love it. You should keep it brown for a while!

And FYI for next time. If the color is to dark wash your hair with Tide detergent(the powder, not the liquid)and it will lighten it up a shade.

jaesi said...

ooooh me likey.

Mrs. J said...

I'm a fan Esplin. It's a fun change. Keep it for a while and just enjoy it.
A little side note: I tried to donate my hair when I chopped mine, but because I used bleach, they wouldn't take it. They take colored hair, but not bleached. FYI.

The Papa's said...

Va-va-Voom!!! I LOVE it!!! You really do look absolutely gorgeous...as always. My vote is you keep it dark.

-Did you really just have a baby? You look awesome!!!

Love ya

Lara said...

Heather, it looks really good and so natural. It looks like it has lightened up a ton since I saw you last. It's a definite keeper (at least for a little while, right?) I'm glad you are doing better.

Anonymous said...

I like it dark. It looks good. How did the girls react? What does Samuel think?

Sarah said...

I think you look marvelous as a brunette! You look great!

Crystal said...

I really like it too! It looks so natural because your eyes and eyebrows are brown.

Morgan said...

I love it! I think it is really, really pretty.

Heather B said...

Hallie- Samuel wants me to stay this way too, he likes it that much. Kalia and Annaliese never even looked at my weird. I was kinda surprised!

brit said...

you are LOVELY as a brunette. it is absolutely GORGEOUS!

kristen said...

wow heather, i think it looks great! you should stay dark!
i like my hair dark (but not too dark)but then i also have to worry about my roots coming in blonde.

i have a hair dye horror story: i decided to go dark (the first time ever and i chose the wrong shade--it was almost black) around christmas time one year....long story short brandon ended up proposing that march and our wedding date was set for later that year in august. i tried bleaching (stripping the color) and it turned my hair orange..like carrots, seriously. i spend the next few months over the summer having it professionally fixed so that i wouldn't look like a carrot for my wedding!

Jessica said...

Wow, it is very striking on you. I like it dark. Fun change.

Michelle said...

I like it although it's so different from the Heather that I picture in my mind after all these years. One of my good friends here with long blonde hair like yours dyed her hair dark over Thanksgiving and I STILL do a double take every time I see her. One of these days I'll get used to her hair dark and yours too.

Ann said...

I seriously think it looks beautiful!I remember trying on the dark wigs on the mish to test the waters. Way to be brave..it really looks fabulous!

Marylin said...

The first time I saw you with it dark (the other night) I was surprised even though I knew you had done it! You are so BEAUTIFUL though you could pull of pink hair. The only trouble is we have to do your family pics over now!! :)

Rebecca said...

I think you look great as a brunette. I love being a brunette But I'm w/ Michelle, I'll have trouble picturing you as one. You'll always be the cute blond cousin from my childhood.

Annelise said...

oooo i love it!! it looks so sultry and classy! i think its fabulous!

Mandy said...

It looks really good, and it is nice not having to deal with those blasted roots.

Christina Mangelson said...

You have an absolutely beautiful face, so any color of hair will look great on you. That said, I prefer you blonde.

Meili said...

First of all Heather, I'm jealous of the number of comments you always get! You have a lot of loyal followers. You are so pretty as a brunette! Of course, I don't know if there's anything you can do that would ruin your looks. You've always been gorgeous. I think I am going to donate to Locks of Love in a few weeks too. I've done it once before, and I'm ready to have short hair again.

Wendi and Eric said...

Your hair wars bring back a lot of memories. I did the exact thing to my hair after I had Connor. Except I also cut it really short. I think your hair looks great.

My vote, stay Brunette.

Julie said...

Wow!!! I love love love it! You should definitely keep it dark for a while!! Gorgeous!

The Leggs said...

This is the first time I have ever seen you with dark hair, since I have known you! I love it - I just went dark again too.

ROB AND HOLLY said...

I think it it gorgeous! I have never seen you dark, but I love it!

Lisha said...

I like it too!:)

Ann Mitchell said...

You look a lot like Krystal with your hair darker.

Megan said...

I love it! My neice had a similar experience 6 months or so ago. And she's surprised me because she has decided to stay a brunette. BTW- after reading your blog about Wicked I became more interested in it and now all the girls in the Stringham family are going to Wicked in San Francisco in May together!!

Anonymous said...

i love your hair dark! stay dark for awhile! Its fun! I was dark once too. I didnt tell Tony I was doing it. I just went and bought the stuff at sallys and did it while he was at work. the gloves broke in the middle of me doing it... so i just mushed it all in using my bare hands. (my hands were dyed brown for days!!!) anyway, Tony came home and he was almost mad! He hated it! and then I started crying and just to make him mad I stayed dark for a good year!! Ha! But I love your hair dark!

Ann said...

Just wanted you to know I really did think of calling you when I was in Vegas, but I saw on your blog that you were out of town. Anyway, next time for sure!

Becky Seymour said...

I think it is sleek and chic...does that make sense. It looks really elegant and beautiful!! I love it. You'd look good with blue hair, so, no worries. But, I think your brunette is smokin hot...keep it!

Mel said...

You are so incredibly gorgeous. I envy that you can look just as amazing with dark hair as you do with blonde. They both work well on you. I wish I had your beauty.

Christa said...

I love it! I think it looks fabulous on you!! And so much less maintenance!!

Live everyday to its fullest said...

I vote you stay dark!!!! I TOTALLY LOVE IT!!!! GORGEIOUS AS usual!!! Plus it will stay healthier, cheaper to keep up and DUH Samual likes it more! Not that he makes the decision but nice to know your hubby thinks your sexy!!!

Rachel said...

Well, I'm going to have to agree with everyone else. I totally love it! I think you look great as a burnette, but then again you're just as gorgeous as a blonde! It's fun to be dark for a change. It gives your hair a break from always having to be treated.

Todd & Rakel Gardner said...

I really do like your hair that color. It looks so good, but we are talking about Heather Esplin (bigler). I think that you can pull anything off well. As for me I was thinking about going dark, because my hair is the inbetween putrid, and I can't stand it. So let me know if you have anymore tips.

Find The Time Mama said...

I love it Heather you look great both Blonde and Brunette!