See this tile here? It's the ceramic tile in our kitchen and one of our bathrooms.I HATE IT!!
I am vowing here and now to NEVER have white ceramic tile in any home EVER.
Why such violent feelings about tile? Well, I'm pregnant, and my feelings about everything are violent, but more importantly, EVERY speck shows up on it, and thus it always looks filthy. The only time it ever looks good is right after I've swept it (three times in a row) and mopped it (twice)...then it only looks good for about one hour. (picture above...still wet from mopping....it takes forever to dry.)
Too much work for not enough pay-off.
I really like my mom's "fake-looking-tile-lineoleum" and my uncle's fake hard-wood floor...I don't know, what else is out there?
I can't wait to build a house someday. I'll try to be very patient, but I'm storing little tidbits away in my head.
20 comments:
All of the countertops in my mom's kitchen were white ceramic tile. She used to scrub the grout with a toothbrush once a month because over time it would look grey and nasty. She hated it! When they remodeled they installed granite counter tops and she was sooooo much happier! I think it is great that you are already deciding what you do and don't want! Who needs white tile anyway, especially if it never looks clean?!
We had white tile in the kitchen and dinning room when we lived in SG and I feel exactly the same, hated it. You really can't keep it clean!
But i bet it's prettier then the white with gold specs tile we have in our bathroom... can't wait to get that replaced!
I would go for the faux granite look and do multi-colored paint splatters all over the whole floor. You'll never worry about dirt showing up again. Plus, just think of all the fun Kalia would have helping you pain the floor. I'm just joking people.
You know how I hated the tile we had in Florida. Our tile floor here in Utah isn't so bad. It's easier to clean, and it's darker pattern hides a lot more.
I inherited the best little gadget. It's called the Hoover Floormate and it looks like a small vacuum, but it's for hard floors. It has dry pick up, wet pick up and wet scrub settings. So, I sweep a little, then dry pick up, then wet scrub. I still have to scrape some of the really stuck on things with a knife or my fingernail, and you have to go pretty slow over the floor to get it really clean, but it's SO MUCH EASIER!! I never have to bend over and I love pouring out all the filthy water. Oh, and drying time is practically zero because it sucks all the water back up. I would recommend getting one if you can get one cheap (I have no idea how much they cost).
I have that faux tile linoleum in my kitchen, and I really like it. It's not as fancy as real tile, but it's so easy to clean, and even when it's not clean, you can't tell anyway, unless you step on crumbs with bare feet. I only sweep and mop once a week, and I've even been known to skip a week every now and then. Of course, when this kid shows up, things might be a bit different. Tim's a pretty clean guy, but I hear babies can be a bit messy.
I have a ton of tile in my house and I love it! It's all about the color/type you get. Mine hides everything. When I'm mopping, I always am surprised about how dirty it really was. White would be the worst ever--especially with kids.
at least you know how you feel before putting it into your own house, right. i think i would just ban people from ever walking on at it.
We have light tile in our house too and I can't wait for the day when we can replace it for something darker. That way, the only way for people to see how dirty it really is is when they walk on it with socks only! :)
I have the same feelings toward carpet right now! I can't wait to have a house that has zero carpet (area rugs=good. Wall to wall=bad). But I'll be sure to steer clear of white tile. :)
We have the "fake-looking-tile-lineoleum" in our new house because we were too cheap (poor) to put in real tile. For now, I really love it! I looks almost like tile, it has a nice texture to it, and it has tons of speckles in it. It's not too dark, but dark enough that it doesn't look dirty hardly ever. Love it, especially compared to the white lineoleum we had in our old apartment. Someday we will upgrade to real tile, but not anytime soon. I actually like it a lot better than I thought it would. And it's not cold on my feet in the morning like tile would be. And no grout either!
Since I have built quite a few homes I finally have found something I absolutely love. My tile is wonderful. I can go 2 whole weeks without mopping and it still looks great!! Don't worry I usually do not go 2 weeks, but check my blog and look at my tile. I get compliments on it all of the time. It is great. Just so you know dark hardwood looks dirty all the time too.
I HATE white tile. And hardwood floors. The living room is hardwood laminite that scratches way too easily and shows every little speck of everything. The office is hardwood and the entryway, kitchen, dining room, hallway, and bathrooms are tile. I am so tired of sweeping all the time. I would much rather vacuum. In my opinion, having very little carpet makes things colder and less sound proof. You can say something in an almost normal voice in the living room and hear it clear back in the bedrooms. Not a good thing in my opinion.
Krystal- GREAT to know, I am looking into one of those machines!
Christina- thanks for letting me know about your tile, I'll take a look. (good to know about dark hardwood too)
Hallie- I agree, our apt. in Hawaii had no carpet, and it echoed like crazy. Plus, Kalia was hitting her head on the floor all the time when she was getting mobile. I love vacuuming too.
I HATE HATE HATE tile. I swear that picture looks like it could have been taken in my house before the addition. It never stayed clean and Parker always had a permanent bruise on his head from falling on it. I love my dark wood (when it's clean) but I am seriously thinking that chocolate brown carpet is the way to go. I hate sweeping but I love to vacuum!
Due to your violent feelings while pregnant..... I suggest not making any major decisions until little miss is born. Speaking from experience I am not allowed to paint, but furniture, cut or dye my hair etc.etc. Pregnancy clouds proper choice making capabilities!!! My worst decorating faux pas have been while pregnant!!!! haha
I love the tile we have but it is not that kind. I love it because the color hides everything!! I have carpet too though, so the mix makes it so I don't have to mop too much floor! I have tile counter tops and HATE THEM! Oh they drive me nuts but we aren't in any state to replace them but when we get a house in Colorado oh man there will be some GREAT counter tops!!
My brother just "Stole"/bought a foreclosed home down there and it's really nice and I could NOT believe the price.
NO tile in my house either! My mom has bamboo flooring...Gorgeous! I want that!
I hear you on that white tile! Ours is a NIGHTMARE!! I swear at it at least once a day...
I LOVE cork floors. It comes in either tiles or planks and it is just fabulous. It is soft and cushy. durable, hides dirt well, warm in the winter and cool in the summer. My mom and sister have it, and I'm waiting for a house to put it in!! One day...
Post a Comment