Monday, May 26, 2008

It's the Best Job


Ahh, a sleeping baby is one of my favorite sights.

You all know I have a very active and wiggly baby. She never sits still. So it's at midnight that I have some of my most treasured moments of the day. I got into the habit when I started losing my milk, and I was worried she wasn't getting enough to eat. So I'd go in at midnight, pick her up and try not to wake her too much, and then feed her. She'd always fall right back to sleep, and then I could just stare at her...and play with her little hands, kiss her little cheeks, and just love her from head to toe.

I love the little moments like that!

I'm all out of milk now, and she's getting plenty of formula, but I still do the midnight 'dream feeds', and I think it's purely for selfish reasons. (Samuel has even caught on, and sometimes we have to paper-rock-scissors for who gets to do it.)

They grow up too fast, don't they? Lately several of you have been writing about treasuring the NOW and not trying to move to the future too fast. I've really been feeling that way. Then Elder Ballard shared this quote in his talk:

Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “........And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

and even though she's just a baby, I had to agree. Then, I found this country song by Trace Adkins, called "You're Gonna Miss This", and I loved it. You can read the song Lyrics Here.

As hard as motherhood can be sometimes, I still feel so lucky to be able to be one, and I sure hope I can treasure it all the way through.

18 comments:

Live everyday to its fullest said...

They do really grow up too fast...and with our fast pace life styles we all seem to just hurry and get throught the day. I LOVE that quote as well...it really touched me and made me realize that nothing is as important as the RIGHT NOW...I love that picture, she is getting so big and so beautiful (I KNOW I always say that) and her eye lashes are so long and dark...SAMUAL WATCH OUT the boy are gonna come flawking!

Staci said...

I LOVE that song and have been contimplating it a lot lately. How funny-I was also going to do a post on it soon. It is so true. Even though Chandler is only two, I find myself missing how things 'used to be' already. I truly will miss it.

Kat Clark said...

What a great post because it is all so cute and precious and absolutely true! I don't know if it's just because "Aunt Flo" is due to visit any day now or what but I am crying! Thanks alot you bumface! No, it really was so sweet, thanks for sharing your special moments. I miss you guys a ton. I hope Samuel's mom is ok and that your mom is ok. I can't wait to find out what you are having!!! I watch your baby ticker and get so excited that in a couple of weeks we will know what is growing in your tum tum! This is getting long now, maybe I should call or email!!!! Sorry.... :)

Holly Woolsey said...

I appreciate your thoughts. This is something I have been thinking so much about. Now that Anna is going into Kindergarten I feel like I'm losing my "little" girl and haven't been liking it! She is so much more independent and likes things her way. We are always rushing to get things done and I need to slow down and enjoy the time I have...and be happy about it!

Devksi said...

Heather- that is a sweet post. You seem like a cute mom. Dean and I saw Sam and his dad this weekend. I think it is so funny that I have met him twice now and still only talk with you through the blogging world. But it is still fun! It sounds like you both have a lot going (with both of your moms). You both are in our prayers!
Smiles,
Katrina

Emma said...

Exactly!
I love the song, love the quote, love that you call them "dream feeds". You're a great Mom Heather!

Brandi Schall said...

Ah I needed this today! It's been one of those days...post vacation where everything comes apart, including the kids! Thanks for reminding me to relax and enjoy them!

{Annie N.} said...

Well put. I love to watch my kids sleep. They are both really active too. Looks like you are hanging in there. I know how hard it is to keep up with a little one when you are pregnant.

Emily Lauren said...

What a neat post, it really made me cry :) It's so easy to get caught up in looking at the future instead of enjoying the now. They get so old so quick :( Thanks for the reminder. . .

Greg and Tammy said...

I've been thinking about the "living in the now" recently as well. You just want to treasure every day... glad to hear you are into your second trimester and feeling a little better. Hope you had fun with your in-laws. I'm sure they loved Kalia!

Natalie said...

I don't think there is anything more sweet than holding a sleeping babe - even more so when it's your own! She is beautiful!

jaesi said...

will I really miss this? I try to remind myself everyday whilst I am wiping poop up, and have a permaheadache.
And how beautiful is she?!!!!!

Kristen said...

It's so true. I think having #2 made me realize how fast Kate grew up. Seeing the difference between a new baby and a 2 year old is amazing. I don't felt like I really rushed things too much with Kate, I was just too anxious to see her grow and do new things. This time around, I'm just enjoying every second of having Jonas be little. Love that song, too.

Phoebe said...

loved your post heather! I used Elder Ballard's talk as my visiting teaching message today! I loved it too! and as a mother who is past long past the stage you are in...looking back it was the best and absolutely goes WAY too fast! Completely exhausting and frustrating at times but oh so good! Congrats on adding a new one!

Traci said...

My Mom told me that every night she would go in and look at her sleeping kids because they looked so sweet asleep. And then no matter what the day was like that was what she would remember before she went to bed.

You are a good mama and you are gonna do great with another one. What lucky kids to have you!

Becky Seymour said...

Your daughter looks just like you, a beauty queen. I am with you, letting every moment just soak in. Even in those late night and morning hours, i try to smile, kiss my baby, let the tears roll down my cheeks, and soak it all in. Thanks for the reminder. Hope all is well! I still can't believe you are pregnant, I can't imagine having another baby right now, you go girl!

becca olsen said...

Wow, i couldn't agree with you more! I absolutely LOVE this post.. Bentley is growing so fast.. i had to buy size 1 diapers enstead of newborns and i had a hard time doing it!! AHH! You're right, motherhood is so worth it!

becca olsen said...

Wow, i couldn't agree with you more! I absolutely LOVE this post.. Bentley is growing so fast.. i had to buy size 1 diapers enstead of newborns and i had a hard time doing it!! AHH! You're right, motherhood is so worth it!